Suspension Lowering Springs - Which ones?

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
Looking to replace my hacked up springs with a legit set, but I am not sure which route to go. The engine bay is very basic, so things have been gutted and lightened because of this. If I get a set of Ford Performance lowering springs I'm afraid that the car will still sit too high.

What springs are you guys running, and do you have pictures of your setup?

I attached some links for fun.
Eibach Springs
Ford Performance
SVE

• Sponsors (?)

Is this a performance driving application? If so, the car will handle better sitting a little higher than you might want. When you lower a 79-04 Mustang too much, you run out of suspension travel, which makes your car more likely to understeer/oversteer when pushed to the limit.

I've used the Ford Performance C springs on my 1992 GT and my 2000 GT autocross cars. I used poly spring isolators on both cars, and Steeda Spring spacers on my Fox. My Fox has been lightened to 3,075 lbs. with 45 lbs. taken off the car ahead of the firewall. You can see how the car sits (and how it performs) in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HGcnscKdg&t

Is this a performance driving application? If so, the car will handle better sitting a little higher than you might want. When you lower a 79-04 Mustang too much, you run out of suspension travel, which makes your car more likely to understeer/oversteer when pushed to the limit.

I've used the Ford Performance C springs on my 1992 GT and my 2000 GT autocross cars. I used poly spring isolators on both cars, and Steeda Spring spacers on my Fox. My Fox has been lightened to 3,075 lbs. with 45 lbs. taken off the car ahead of the firewall. You can see how the car sits (and how it performs) in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HGcnscKdg&t

Have pictures of your car or is this video literally your car? :)

Is it these ones?

Springs

That is my car in the video. The springs on the car are the M-5300-C Ford Performance C springs. In that video, the car has poly isolators and Steeda spring spacers (up front). There's a playlist on my channel that covers all of the mods I've made to the suspension over the years.

Are you using the Steeda spring space to add that .5 inch more height to the front?

What shocks/struts are you running?

FMS C springs will blow out most oe replacement struts rather quickly. Been there, done that. You really need to think of buying the springs/struts/shocks as a package otherwise you may end up with a ride that is too harsh of the strut/shocks cannot handle the increased rates.

I second the recommendation of H&R springs, but you really need to pair them with the proper struts/shocks. Maximum motorsports sells these and can recommend which damper to go with.

I’m on coil-overs right now but out of all the spring setups I’ve run (steeda, FMS C, Eibach) the factory 01 bullitt springs rode the best. Only spring I kept for future needs in case I ever get another fox/sn95

Your intended use is really important when it comes to springs. In some situations, a progressive spring might be the best option. In other situations, progressive springs won't perform as well. The more information we have about your car and how you plan to use it, the more we can help.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve also had numerous springs in different cars. FMS B, FMS C, eibach sportlines, saleen racecraft. Last month I put a set of H&R in my beater 96 and I really like them. I did not have to cut the dead coil in the rear like I have done on all the other set to level the car out. They ride nice too in my opinion.

What shocks/struts are you running?

FMS C springs will blow out most oe replacement struts rather quickly. Been there, done that. You really need to think of buying the springs/struts/shocks as a package otherwise you may end up with a ride that is too harsh of the strut/shocks cannot handle the increased rates.

I second the recommendation of H&R springs, but you really need to pair them with the proper struts/shocks. Maximum motorsports sells these and can recommend which damper to go with.

I’m on coil-overs right now but out of all the spring setups I’ve run (steeda, FMS C, Eibach) the factory 01 bullitt springs rode the best. Only spring I kept for future needs in case I ever get another fox/sn95

Running stock Koni shocks up front with Koni adjustable in the rear. I had a front blow out, so I replaced the front shocks with some aftermarket Koni ones that wouldn't break my bank account.

Running stock Koni shocks up front with Koni adjustable in the rear. I had a front blow out, so I replaced the front shocks with some aftermarket Koni ones that wouldn't break my bank account.
If it's a version that fits an MM coil over, at this point, go that route and use whatever rear spring they suggest.