Mac Prochamber vs. Mac H

I've had a 3 pc Mac Prochamber for over a year now and bought a slightly used 3 pc Mac H pipe from a friend. I just wanted to try out the H sound for comparison. Since Mac changed to a 3 pc interchangeable design, it only took eight nuts to swap the chamber for the H section. I didn't have to mess with the legs that mate up to the exhaust manifold.

I can say from personal experience that the H is louder than the Prochamber. It is also a little higher pitch. The Prochamber gives off a deeper rumble. The H also sounds a little more raspy right at 2500 RPM. Another way to describe it is if the Prochamber gave off a vrrrrooom sound, the H gives off the same vrrrrooom sound but it rolls the r's. If you've listened to a Hispanic person talk, you'll know what I mean by rolling the r's.

I don't have any comments on track times or dyno runs between the two. There have been many magazine articles that made these comparisons already. The Mac Prochamber, Mac H, other H pipes and other X pipes have all been within 1-5 rwhp of each other. That's well within the noise level of the dynos I've been on.

• Sponsors (?)

People bash on the MAC H all the time, but I've had great luck and fitment with mine. I think some of their older units had issues and it left a bad impression with people.

I like the slight raspiness it has around 2400-2600, personally. :)

propellerhead said:
The H does sound meaner and nastier. It's closer to an open-headered track car than with the Prochamber. If you want some rumble with an attitude, get the H. If you want some deep rumble, get a Prochamber. Personally, I'll probably put the chamber back on in a week or two.
:lol:

You swamp mids more often than some people change underwear. It's all good. :nice:

Mossberg said:
I've debated both as well. I may try the H too.
The 3 piece design makes it easy to swap the chamber and the H. I also have a set of catted legs in case I get in a bind. I already got rid of my stock H pipe.

TrueBlue03 said:
what mufflers are you running?
I have the Mac catback using their Flowpath mufflers. I believe they're a bit louder than the stock catback with welded in Flowmasters. Probably because the Mac catback uses 2.5" pipes all the way while the stock pipes are 2.25".

4u2nv said:
People bash on the MAC H all the time, but I've had great luck and fitment with mine. I think some of their older units had issues and it left a bad impression with people.

I like the slight raspiness it has around 2400-2600, personally. :)

my thoughts exactly. Some of the earlier fitment issues are keeping people from buying a very good product that is a better price than some of these mid pipes. I mean come on,.. its all just piping.:SNSign:

Man Ive been thinking about ordering a Mac O/R H for a while now just to see if i like it or not. I mean its only like $160, if I dont like it I can always pawn it off. Ive had the O/R and Catted X, but I want to get a deeper rumble out of my Bassani C/B. Im just worried that an H may give a "blatty" sound with Bassani........whats a girl to do :shrug: