Mach460 Mid/Highs went out

DangerousOne1

Jan 6, 2004
A couple weeks back I started my car and ran back inside to grab something. (96 GT) When I started the car, the 460 was working as usual. When I came back out I got in and when I shut the door the mid/highs went out. I was parked on a hill so when I closed the door it shut harder than usual.

I have went as far as to pull the under dash amp out, but nothing appears burnt inside of it. When the underdash amp is hooked up, it sounds as if all the speakers are working as subs. It's mega bass and nothing else. If I unplug any of the three harnesses into the underdash, it all stops working totally. If I unplug either of the rear amps, it shuts off half the car but continues bass only throughout the rest.

Is there anything I could have jarred loose? It doesn't make much sense that it would go out when the door close and not when it was being pushed hard or first started. I was going to buy a used underdash amp, but it seems to me it would either work or not and it appears to be supplying power. Any thoughts at all?

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard of this happening to other people. The little amp under the head unit is usually the culprit. The signal is daisy chained from the head unit to the first amp,then the 2 rear amps. Sometimes the little front one screws up and stops outputing signal to the 2 rear ones. A new front amp will probably,but not definately,fix it.