Engine Maf

• Sponsors (?)

I would say if the car is running well with the 76mm, the change to 80mm may give a little more power but I wouldn't expect alot, it may even hurt power. It all depends on whether the 76mm was a restriction or not.

Well thats the thing.. putting the engine together now..
Stock explorer bottom end.. anderson n412 cam..and twisted wedge 170 heads , ported to about 182-183 and 58 cc combustion chamber, .035 headgasket, ported upper and lower explorer intakes, flow more than the aftermarket stuff, ported tb, flows like a 75mm.. just trying to get it all right before it gets tuned. I have a 76mm bbk.. can buy an 80 pro m.. but if it's not worth it I'll just run the 76mm

Last edited:
What will it be running for engine management/tune? Aftermarket ECU or stock ECU with chip?

I have read that a 76mm MAF can support up to 700-800hp. Given that I don't see the need for anything bigger. Just my 2 cents.

Stock explorer computer, dyno tunedand loading the tunes with a SCT tuner.
Like I was saying, just making sure I dint bottle neck the air inlet and the maf being there. It
Its only a 3 inch opening....I need to run at least 3 1/2 -4 inch inlet air intake pipe

Its only a 3 inch opening....I need to run at least 3 1/2 -4 inch inlet air intake pipe
Not sure where the NEED for larger inlet pipe is coming from. Is this a street combo or all out drag racing? For a street combo to cruise around, no need for a inlet pipe that large. If all you are looking for is the wow factor when you pop the hood at show or local coffee shop and don't care how it performs, have at it, go for the big stuff.

Remember... at 6000 RPM a stock 302 will only pull 525 cfm (its just math). A 76mm MAF can outflow those numbers at least 1.5x (somewhere on the internet is a chart of what different size MAF's can flow - I just can't find it now).

Only place big flow numbers are needed is high in RPM band, otherwise you are probably hurting street manners.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure where the NEED for larger inlet pipe is coming from. Is this a street combo or all out drag racing? For a street combo to cruise around, no need for a inlet pipe that large. If all you are looking for is the wow factor when you pop the hood at show or local coffee shop and don't care how it performs, have at it, go for the big stuff.

Remember... at 6000 RPM a stock 302 will only pull 525 cfm (its just math). A 76mm MAF can outflow those numbers at least 1.5x (somewhere on the internet is a chart of what different size MAF's can flow - I just can't find it now).

Only place big flow numbers are needed is high in RPM band, otherwise you are probably hurting street manners.
Well.."mainly" street..I will take it to the track once to get a number just to see what it will do. Definitely not built to race. It may be a little extreme for the purpose of why I built it, travel and pull my street glide on a small trailer if the boss lady goes with me. Its in a little ranger. I wont be attending any car shows or popping the hood. Just want to make sure I have no restrictions..and thanks for your help by the way

Stock explorer computer, dyno tunedand loading the tunes with a SCT tuner.
Like I was saying, just making sure I dint bottle neck the air inlet and the maf being there. It
I feel a ct in there somewhere. :shrug:

• Haha
I would imagine that
ported tb, flows like a 75mm.. just trying to get it all right before it gets tuned. I have a 76mm bbk.. can buy an 80 pro m..

Changing the size of your MAF will make no difference here. Your throttle body says so. Even ported, a 75mm TB will outflow the Explorer intake. Hell, you might even get a little more out of a smaller TB in N/A form.

The Pro-M will likely be more accurate but you won't really know unless you try the one you already have to see if you have any issues tuning it. Lots of folks around here have the BBK units and I don't recall any complaints. The differences in the two sizes are largely irrelevant in this combo.

I appreciate that info... however..not sure we are on the same page here...
my intake flows more than a systemax 2.. heads flow real close to the 11R heads .. this is a very calculated build . I just dont want to rob myself of any power.
I do appreciate everyone's help.. if I can use my bbk 76 and wont gain anything from a pro-M 80, then I'd rather not waste that money

This is from Accufab's website.

Match your intake CFM:
Ford Mustang 5.0L, 1986-1993
Stock – 495cfm
65mm – 664cfm
70mm – 787cfm
70mm (Race) – 896cfm
75mm – 924cfm
75mm (Race) – 1045cfm
80mm – 1142cfm
85mm – 1322cfm
90mm – 1369cfm
105mm – 1550cfm

You will not have a bottle neck at the MAF. As I said above, the engine will physically pull 525 cfm at 6000 RPM. Looking at the chart above, you could have a 70mm MAF and not be a bottle neck for the engine.

Don't forget, just because a flow bench tells you a CFM rate an intake or heads can deliver, it does not mean you engine will use that much (or even can use that much).

I would love to see dyno numbers for the completed package. Best of luck.

You will not have a bottle neck at the MAF. As I said above, the engine will physically pull 525 cfm at 6000 RPM. Looking at the chart above, you could have a 70mm MAF and not be a bottle neck for the engine.

Don't forget, just because a flow bench tells you a CFM rate an intake or heads can deliver, it does not mean you engine will use that much (or even can use that much).

I would love to see dyno numbers for the completed package. Best of luck.
I read you loud and clear.. and I appreciate your input.. illupdate once its tuned..THANKS