Magnaflow to Magnapacks possible?

LB0193

Dec 6, 2005
IL
Hey I want to switch out my magnaflow mufflers to magnapack mufflers and I am just wondering if that is possible...summit sell ths magnapacks 2/1/2 ( I am assuming thats what I need for 60 something bucks. So my question is can I switch the mufflers out for the packs or would I need to get a whole new catback system?

• Sponsors (?)

LB0193:

LOL! I just swapped out my 'Packs for Magnaflows!

You only need the flow tubes and mufflers. Everything else (hangers, hardware, tips, etc.) are identical.

I would call Magnaflow and ask them to sell you the flow tubes and you can buy the mufflers cheaper on line.

HTH,

Chris

nyuk98gt said:
LB0193:

LOL! I just swapped out my 'Packs for Magnaflows!

You only need the flow tubes and mufflers. Everything else (hangers, hardware, tips, etc.) are identical.

I would call Magnaflow and ask them to sell you the flow tubes and you can buy the mufflers cheaper on line.

HTH,

Chris

First, why did you swap them out for flows??!! 2nd... Which are the flow tubes? the tubes that go ahead of the mufflers and attach to the midpipe?

Hell, if its possible to do it the way you're speaking of instead of a shop jig riggin the straigh thru 'pack mufflers in, ill buy the "flow tubes" and mufflers then...

Roger_4.6_96 said:
Tube ahead of muffler that connects to x pipe.

You totally sure about that?? So technically i could buy the flow tubes (tubes ahead of the mufflers to the x pipe) and the magnapacks and keep the rest of my piping back behind the packs to the tips and be good to go??

Nyuk98gt, how much did it cost you to do that and where did you get the parts?

Chaps:

Sorry for the tardy reply, been swamped.

The flow tubes are the short sections of tube that connect the midpipe (X, H, catted, o/r, etc.) to the mufflers. The only things that are different between the Magnaflow regular and Magnapack catback kits -other than the mufflers- are the flow tubes!

LB0193:

I cleaned up the old flow tubes and 'Packs, wrapped them up, and sold them as a complete kit.

Call MagnaFlow and ask them for the tubes and mufflers. The parts should be readily available.

BigChiefSmokem:

I swapped out the 'Packs to tone things down a bit. I love 'Packs on Mustangs but my favorite passenger (Spouse) did not like them on my car. The regular Magnaflow mufflers are just right for everybody in my family now!

Chris

nyuk98gt said:
Chaps:

Sorry for the tardy reply, been swamped.

The flow tubes are the short sections of tube that connect the midpipe (X, H, catted, o/r, etc.) to the mufflers. The only things that are different between the Magnaflow regular and Magnapack catback kits -other than the mufflers- are the flow tubes!

LB0193:

I cleaned up the old flow tubes and 'Packs, wrapped them up, and sold them as a complete kit.

Call MagnaFlow and ask them for the tubes and mufflers. The parts should be readily available.

BigChiefSmokem:

I swapped out the 'Packs to tone things down a bit. I love 'Packs on Mustangs but my favorite passenger (Spouse) did not like them on my car. The regular Magnaflow mufflers are just right for everybody in my family now!

Chris

Thanks for the reply! How much did it cost you for all that?

BigChiefSmokem:

I didn't buy the parts separately. I bought the 'regular' Magnaflow catback (with free shipping and $100 discount coupon from PartShopper!!) and just swapped out the tubes and the mufflers. I sold the old tubes, 'Packs, and ALL of the new stuff from the new catback (still in the factory wrapping).

I bought the whole c/b because I did not know if the tailpipes and hangers would be the same. I needed to have both c/b's to compare side-by-side. Now we know what parts need to be changed out and you don't need the whole c/b kit.

Chris

So i spoke with someone at magnaflow over the phone and they basically told me that the tubes before the mufflers on the magnaflow catback and magnapack cat back systems are not for sale as seperate pieces... But he did tell me that I could buy the magnapack mufflers and have an exhaust shop put them in for me... that shop would probably have to put in new tubing forward of the muffler.... which probably wouldnt be stainless steel....

Has anyone else found out anything different? This sucks that you cant buy the tubing forward of the muffler seperate!!! :mad:

I would not worry about the "flow tubes".

I would just technically call that pipe with a flange on it. nothing special there.

make sure the exhaust shop has some stainless 2 1/2 pipe on hand, buy the muffelrs and have them put them in. nothing hard about this at all. any shop will be able to easily do this.

Magnaflow should really sell a conversion kit where you can swap them out. :notnice:

Don't think I want packs, but I have thought about it. If I coulda got a conversion kit for $100 I might have done it a long time ago.