Magnaflow X-pipe with cats! Whistles....

ras50gt

Oct 25, 2005
Does anyone have a maganflow x pipe with cats? I had mine installed the other day along with some dynomax bullets. It sounds good, really loud. Only thing im not completely sure about is that when you get on it, there is a slight whistle. It almost sounds like a supercharger or turbocharger. Is this whistle what everyone calls being raspy? Does anyone have a similar setup and knows what i mean? Could it be something else? Maybe after i add an intake and cam it will be different. I will try to post some sounds soon...... It does sound awesome at WOT though.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a stock throttle body and have never touched it. It never had the whistle until the x-pipe went in. It has to be something with the exhaust system.... I was driving around today and another 5.0 pulled next to me, he liked how it sounded. I was talking to him about the whistle and he told me that his friend has an x-pipe and its normal for an x-pipe to have that kind of raspy sound, even though it sounds more like a whistle to me. I was thinking maybe i have a leak, possibly where the headers meet up to the x-pipe, or maybe from an oxygen sensor? It might be normal, it still sounds good. When i get some more time, i will have someone take a clip...i need to find a nice place to let it loose :D

ras50gt said:
Does anyone have a maganflow x pipe with cats? I had mine installed the other day along with some dynomax bullets. It sounds good, really loud. Only thing im not completely sure about is that when you get on it, there is a slight whistle. It almost sounds like a supercharger or turbocharger. Is this whistle what everyone calls being raspy? Does anyone have a similar setup and knows what i mean? Could it be something else? Maybe after i add an intake and cam it will be different. I will try to post some sounds soon...... It does sound awesome at WOT though.
I have '87 LX and recently went from stock h-pipe & catback to a Magnaflow catted H-pipe (yes, catted H-pipe) and Magnaflow catback system. I now also hear a high pitched sound (almost like a whistle), but it's like its coming from the intake side. I think its the sound of more air coming in than before, because the larger exhaust pipes aren't choking the intake side down as much. If you don't have your air intake silencer on & if you're really concerned about it, you could re-install it to see if the sound goes away or quiets.

I never really thought about that, thanks mrau92me. That could be it, however the air silencer is long gone in the trash.I probably wouldnt put it back on either way, lol. So, what will happen to the whistle when i get a new intake manifold, throttle body and install my mass air ???? Eventually a cam and heads, supercharger.... Im not unhappy with the sound, i was just more concerned if it was a leak or something. I only hear the whistle when im flooring it, i drove by my friend's house last night and i asked him to listen for it, he says it must be just me, cause it sounds awesome, maybe it sounds different from outside the car. Im not 100% where the sound is coming from, when i sit in my driveway and rev, i barely hear it, its when im in higher rpms, which everyone tells me is the raspy sound of an x-pipe, but i will have to check out what you said. Like i was asking though, would a new intake, etc make the whistle go away or make it louder???

When I had a catted Magnaflow H-pip and had a slight whistle too. I think its from the exhaust rushing out of the pipe, took me a couple hours and an extra guy to pinpoint it. The stock cats closer to the engine help reduce that.

Also make sure your smog tube is connected to the pipe securely, that could make a whistle too.

ras50gt said:
I never really thought about that, thanks mrau92me. That could be it, however the air silencer is long gone in the trash.I probably wouldnt put it back on either way, lol. So, what will happen to the whistle when i get a new intake manifold, throttle body and install my mass air ???? Eventually a cam and heads, supercharger.... Im not unhappy with the sound, i was just more concerned if it was a leak or something. I only hear the whistle when im flooring it, i drove by my friend's house last night and i asked him to listen for it, he says it must be just me, cause it sounds awesome, maybe it sounds different from outside the car. Im not 100% where the sound is coming from, when i sit in my driveway and rev, i barely hear it, its when im in higher rpms, which everyone tells me is the raspy sound of an x-pipe, but i will have to check out what you said. Like i was asking though, would a new intake, etc make the whistle go away or make it louder???
Everyone I've talked to says that they've never heard an exhaust leak whistle; leaks flutter & sound raspy. Maybe we're the few that have tight systems, lol. While in your driveway, stand by the intake while someone else revs it & listen to it with and w/o the hood closed. If that doesn't help, ride on the hood (again lol).
Just a guess, but a new intake would probably change the sound to more of a whoosh, and it would probably be louder & more obvious where it was coming from, perhaps less annoying though. Superchargers whistle, period, but alot louder than what you're experiencing.