• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

make your own rear frame rails?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jp51mustang
  • Start date Start date Jan 8, 2008
J

jp51mustang

New Member
Sep 20, 2005
26
0
2
Jan 8, 2008
#1
  • Jan 8, 2008
  • #1
I've got a 65 coupe. I'm still in the early stages of replacing rusty metal and I'm working my way front to back. I know the trunk floor and rear frame needs work and I know I want sub frame connectors. Considering it costs more than $200 for a full new rear rail do you think it's worth while to make my own out of rectangular tube? And for that matter I've read articles about how you make the connectors out of the same tube, perhaps it also make sense to extend the self made rear rails as the sub frame connectors? What do you think to much work and wishful thinking?
 

xoxbxfx

Founding Member
May 9, 2001
3,959
0
0
Southlake, TX
Jan 8, 2008
#2
  • Jan 8, 2008
  • #2
well, since you cant bend the rectangle tubing on a bender like a chassis shop could..its going to be a LOT of work. You will have to do a lot of pie cuts and weld then grind down the box tubing to make the curves.

Is it possible..oh yeah, hot rodders make their own frame rails all the time. Just realize its very time consuming. When you do it, clamp your new frame rail that you are building onto the existing one to make sure you get the curves right. If you want really wide back tires...its a perfect time to look into moving in the frame rails.
 
J

jp51mustang

New Member
Sep 20, 2005
26
0
2
Jan 8, 2008
#3
  • Jan 8, 2008
  • #3
What about the idea of extending the rear rails forward as frame connectors?
 

xoxbxfx

Founding Member
May 9, 2001
3,959
0
0
Southlake, TX
Jan 8, 2008
#4
  • Jan 8, 2008
  • #4
thats a great idea... Just kinda hard to do...once you get a 10' stick of rectangle tube under the car you will see.
 
J

jp51mustang

New Member
Sep 20, 2005
26
0
2
Jan 8, 2008
#5
  • Jan 8, 2008
  • #5
I blame spike TV's power block. I figure I've got a reciprocating saw and protractor this shouldn't be too hard. I'll figure out the angles/bends no big deal. I have a feeling you're putting it into better prospective. But it's nice to hear it's a good idea. Thanks
 

cardude

Founding Member
Apr 20, 2000
221
0
0
Portland, OR
Jan 8, 2008
#6
  • Jan 8, 2008
  • #6
jp51mustang said:
I blame spike TV's power block. I figure I've got a reciprocating saw and protractor this shouldn't be too hard. I'll figure out the angles/bends no big deal. I have a feeling you're putting it into better prospective. But it's nice to hear it's a good idea. Thanks
Click to expand...

Yeah they are great for ideas, but not so great for letting you see all the people putting all the hours for a 15 minute segment after commercials!! :SNSign:
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Intro and FB questions
  • gflat65
  • Nov 16, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
255
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Nov 25, 2025
horse sence
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
359
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
392
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
What's your tow rig?
  • LILCBRA
  • May 31, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
6
Views
298
Other Auto Tech Oct 4, 2026
JD1964
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?