Manual or Automatic?

• Sponsors (?)

Mine's an Auto. My car is an ex-rental, and I wanted an Auto for Orlando traffic.

I'm kinda sick of the ricer attitude against having Autos in cars. So my '66 is getting another Auto during the V8 swap, but I'm gonna build it so it can hand manuals their asses.:nice:

There are some nice C4 set ups that will take a pounding.

Personally, I want to get a Viper Spec T-56 so I can cruise on the interstate at relatively low RPMs. The rearend I'm wanting to get is going to have 3.55 gearing so its not like I'd have to worry about cruising at highway speeds at high rpms in the first place. It will still be my daily driver so I'm going to jump at every opportunity to save fuel.

I switched out a manual for an auto about a year ago. of course my auto's slipping baaaaad into 3rd now, BBBUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTT im with whoever said about the ricer's "manual pwns autos attitude" is BS:bs:. Our cars's autos can handle just as much as the manuals at only a small ammount of powerloss where as the honda and ricer autos can barely handle and extra fifty HP which is why they spend more on tranny upgrades than engine upgrades with thier manuals. <trust me i dumped 12,000 into a 1,500 dollar saturn and atleast 3 grand went into clutch and tranny to beable to handle the HP. as for our stangs AUTO with a tune/three setting SCT chip to have IT shift where ever you want it too when ever you want it too ;) and ya dont kill your knee with the cobra clutch a firnd of yours said to put in :nonono:

I got an auto. I got it because I didn't know how to drive a stick. I plan on learning how to drive an manual this summer/fall(Either a friends car or I plan on to "test drive" a used eplise for a few hours :) ) I'm happy in the postion that I'm in right now that I have an auto, because people can't drive for chit here and especially around my school. My vette has a manual though.

Auto = 1/4 Mile race
Man. = Road race (turns)
Having the ability to downshift helps in auto cross but in a drag race an auto trans with min. work should out shift "most" Man. drivers.
Me....i like a 5 spd. just more fun:shrug:

I got an automatic, and I wish it was a standard... But living in an area with more traffic than most places, sometimes I'm happy with the auto.

As far as performance goes, I could care less at this point, but I could always spend a few dollars on a stall converter and shift kit.

Driving a manual is usually more fun... Especially if there's more power at the wheels. I like being in charge of my RPM's.

Mine`s an AUTO-there`s just too much Traffic in the STATES.......now if I was somewhere else(my Country back in Europe)MANUAL for Sure.........My MACH 1 will also be an AUTO....Why ? So I have Both hands to CALM down the HORSE(S) and "WAVE" to all th`a RICERS out there-that`s why :D

Some of you guys talk like shifting gears is a task.
Its such a natural thing. One doesn't think about it, it just happens, you're not thinking about it, but you're feeling and hearing your car, and subconciously (if thats how you spell it) you just shift at the right time.
I love it

Try going 0-25-10-20-0-25-4-0-0-20-40-0 in 20 minutes. I know people with manuals that do daily driving and they absolutely hate it and wish they didn't go with the bandwagon cause "manuals are cooler". Plus yeah, when you make alot of power, it's just so much easier to have an auto because you can use both hands for control and aren't shifting within a second.

TMX said:
Try going 0-25-10-20-0-25-4-0-0-20-40-0 in 20 minutes. I know people with manuals that do daily driving and they absolutely hate it and wish they didn't go with the bandwagon cause "manuals are cooler". Plus yeah, when you make alot of power, it's just so much easier to have an auto because you can use both hands for control and aren't shifting within a second.

It has absolutly nothing to do with "being cooler". Its just the feel of it, thats all, thats better. Feel like I'm more control. Controlling the rpms and stuff. But you know what, I do agree with you that if you're going to be doing the whole " 0-25-10-20-0-25-4-0-0-20-40-0 in 20 minutes" then it can turn into a pain, more than anything cause of the left leg with the clutch.
I don't really have that kind of traffic on a daily basis so I can't really make a comparison, I'll just say though that for what I have it, I'd keep the manual any day of the week.

zincyellow03 said:
I don't think I've ever seen an auto car in any European country. Isn't it 95% manual and 5% auto? :shrug:

Yep, It`s more like 99%Stick w/1%Auto......might see a couple of Cars w/Automatic trans. and that`s probably some American Ppl who never learned how to drive a Stick :) ...sorry fellas but "LAZY" iz our Middle name

b52yellow said:
Yep, It`s more like 99%Stick w/1%Auto......might see a couple of Cars w/Automatic trans. and that`s probably some American Ppl who never learned how to drive a Stick :) ...sorry fellas but "LAZY" iz our Middle name

I figured that it was 99%/1% but I said 95% because I figured that some people probably imported some autos to make them different :shrug: