Manual Steering Rack? Or...

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
Anyone here with a fox with manual rack and 245/45R17 tires? I can get a deal on a rack and I'm thinking it would help me get rid of a few pounds, clean up the engine bay and fix an oil leak lol...

Is it a pain to drive? I've never driven one with a manual rack before (just one with PS disconnected). I do lots of highway and some city.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If u do a lot of driving I wouldn't recommend it. I have a quick ratio manual rack and I think it's great, but I do very limited weekend driving. I would imagine no PS in traffic would suck. A non DD go for it

I drive my car every chance I get (almost every other day to work and back) so I guess I can claim DD status. It has a Uni-steer manual rack. The front tires are 225 x 50 x 17. It is a standard ratio rack (20:1, 3.5 turns lock to lock). There is absolutely NOTHING difficult about driving it, and as a matter of fact, routinely steer it in and out of low speed turns (like from a stoplight) w/ just one hand.
Now the "sport rack" and a wider tire?... that might be a little more difficult, but if you're looking to save weight on a DD that isn't a week end autocrosser,...then............Just sayin.

:stupid:

i had a pick of a steering wheel wore straight through from my notch when I got it, with a quick ratio manual rack and 245's. I personally hated it an swapped back. but like he said you really dont notice when your moving

:stupid:

i had a pick of a steering wheel wore straight through from my notch when I got it, with a quick ratio manual rack and 245's. I personally hated it an swapped back. but like he said you really dont notice when your moving

and what is "a pick of a steering wheel wore straight through from my notch" mean anyway?:scratch:

I knew I should have stopped steering my car with my pinkies in the air...damn.

Cam.JPG

I'm constantly intrigued with the idea, but then i remember all those times i had the back end swing out unexpected and i had to do the bus driver move on the steering wheel while shifting with the other hand...i don't wanna deal with all that with manual steering. It's a luxury i just won't live without, and it really doesn't save that much weight anyway since the compressor and lines are all of maybe 30lbs if that.

I'm constantly intrigued with the idea, but then i remember all those times i had the back end swing out unexpected and i had to do the bus driver move on the steering wheel while shifting with the other hand...i don't wanna deal with all that with manual steering. It's a luxury i just won't live without, and it really doesn't save that much weight anyway since the compressor and lines are all of maybe 30lbs if that.

In this situation you wouldn't even notice no ps, if the car is moving it really isn't all that different. I did it to clean up the engine compartment n minimize pulleys.

In this situation you wouldn't even notice no ps, if the car is moving it really isn't all that different. I did it to clean up the engine compartment n minimize pulleys.

Oh i've drove plenty of manual steering cars. It really just depends on what rack and what size the tires are. I learned to drive in an '82 Chevette with manual steering. I think there's a pretty noticeable difference. If i can't spin the wheel with just the flat of my palm on the wheel then i'm not happy/comfortable. I guess it's just what i'm used to.