Manual Steering Shaft Qs

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I just recently put in a manual rack while I did my trans swap. The car is still riding the jack stands because my car fund is $0 and I can't spend $200 on the Flaming River steering shaft I need.

Is there somewhere that I can buy the U-joints and fab one up for under $100? I think it is silly to have to pay that much for a new one. I don't need it pretty because, well, my car is far from a show piece right now.

Thanks,
Collin

• Sponsors (?)

I have an adapter that goes on the manual rack and uses the stock shaft. I couldnt find it on summit thought. I bought mine about 3 years ago. FWIW, the maximum motorsports steering shaft is a much better design and i would never choose the flaming river over that one.

Also, i am running 1 7/8'' headers and the stock steering shaft clears those. I dont see a reason to spend the money on the steel one

You can buy the "double D" bar stock from summit or Jegs (IDK what the shortest length they sell but you only need about a foot) Then two DD universal joints at 50.00 ea. (Approx) The DD stuff uses set screws to hold everything in place. It's what I use. As a matter of fact, I think I got a piece of the bar I'll let you have for shipping that's probably long enough. all you'll need is the U-joints.