Mark VIII fan/Delta Current Controller

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
Alright, so I'm reluctantly joining the ranks of the minions who have posted in tech about this topic. I've read through about 20 threads on this and still don't feel entirely confident/haven't found the info I'm looking for. I'm hoping HISSIN50 will chime in :D. I have the FK-35 DCC kit.

What's throwing me off is that the Mark VIII fan has three wires, two black and one blue. Obviously the fan has high and low speeds, but the wiring diagrams in the instructions make no mention of which wires go where. They only say fan (+), fan (-), battery (+), battery (-). Is the blue negative and the two black high/low? Do both high/low speeds go to the (+) terminal of the controller and the (-) to the (-) terminal?

Also, my car has a stock 195* thermostat in it, and the directions say the DCC is programmed for 180* tstat. Will I have to jump out pins to get it to work properly?

Which wire do I tap into from the A/C harness to make the fan work properly with my air conditioning?

What does the LED light included in the kit indicate, and do I just match the colors of the wires of the LED to the same color wires in the kit?

So many questions! Please help! My spare time is pretty limited and I'd like to make this install as productive as possible by learning all I can before I dive in. Thanks!!

Chris :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The 2 outer terminals on the fan will be + and -. If you look closely at the terminals they will be labeled, or at least all the ford electrics fans I've had were labeled.

No idea on the dcc thing, I use a 75a relay and a switch.

My DCC controller came with very complete and thorough instructions. They should answer all your questions. On my fan (taurus) only the high speed wire is connected to the controller + and the low speed wire is just tied off and not connected to anything. If you not sure which wire is which (as I was) just run it directly off the battery and see which is which. My fan sounds like a 747 in high speed so its easy to tell the difference. They say the Mark fan moves even more air than mine does. Good luck!

Thanks guys. My kit came with two sheets of wiring diagrams, but they're vague. They make no mention of which wire of the fan to use if it's a two speed fan, they say nothing about where to tap into the A/C harness, and they don't mention the LED at all either. :shrug:

Can anyone else offer some help?

Congrats on your DCC purchase. once you get it up and running correctly, you'll know you made the right decision to stay away from switches and relays. The diagram is very basic, but so is the setup. As for your two-speed fan, you would hook the DCC output up to the HIGH output terminal on the fan. From there, the controller will determine the power output to the fan, from a low speed barely spinning speed if it's just barely in need of cooling all the way up to the highest potential speed of the fan. Don't worry about the low speed terminal on the fan, it's no longer needed with the DCC and won't be used. As for the LED, when the fan is not running, it will be lit solid green. As the DCC turns on, the LED will gradually change from green, to yellow, to orange, to red (indicating the highest output). As the car cools, it would operate in reverse order. I find the LED to be very useful so I know what's going on with my electric fan. FYI: make sure all of your grounds are solid, I've had trouble with mediocre grounding in my car that made the DCC act a little screwy. It's a solid product, though. As for the instructions, I don't believe they discuss the LED. Go to the DCC site and look up which terminals on the DCC to connect it to. I'm pretty sure it's the controller's output and ground. A very basic understanding of electrical wiring does help.

Hello there. I have had the FK-35 running a Taurus fan now for about a year and have had no problems what so ever with the set-up. As far as how to set it up so it will work with a/c, all I did was pop the cover off of the coil and that big nest there and tracked down the two wires that feed the compressor clutch. They are black with a yellow stripe. Use the 12vdc + wire and tie it to your FK-35. That is what I thought the instructions said to do but I may be mistaken. I know I hit the boards like you are doing now to make sure I was doing it right.

Also, make sure you space the fan's startup temp. far enough away from the t-stats opening temp. so you dont get a conflict. My stat is a 180 and when I first installed it I left it at 180 for some dumbass reason...lol. The fan was always running for some reason....hahaha. I wound up setting the pins so it would start at 187 and now it works like a champ. There is a chart in the instructions for what temps the different pinout combinations stand for. If you are at 195 then set it for somewheres around 202-203 or whatever the pins get you to close to that.....l8r

The guys have you covered. When I got mine, there was a separate page with the instructions for the LED.

He doesn't provide vehicle wiring info because it's different for every customer.

As noted, do reset your target temp so you don't have hysteresis issues. The stock stat doesn't fully open till about 210* normally, so plan accordingly.

Post up what questions you still have (now that you've gotten the package).

Wow, thanks for the responses guys! Talk about helpful! :D I have a rudimentary knowledge of automotive wiring, but I've been doing my research. I'm gonna give this a shot this weekend and I'll post back up with results. Thanks again!

Chris

I just ordered a 2 speed controller from DCC. I used to have a car with the FK35, and with this one I went with the 2 speed controller, cheaper and will do just what I need. If you dont get yours setup properly, send Baskins a PM and he will get you on track.