Marked up in Southern California

scdgoofy

Mar 31, 2005
So I went to my local Ford dealership today at lunch to get a closer look at the Mustang. (I mean after all, if I'm seriously considering buying one, I should at least see if I can fit in it! - 6'2" -)

I was pretty shocked to the see the verts with a $5,000 markup and the GTs with a $3,000 markup. Didn't look at the V6, so I don't know if it was marked up.

I introduced myself as an X-Plan buyer and I could see the salesperson immediately become uninterested. I was told the only way to get X-Plan pricing was to place an order with the fleet manager. (I wouldn't need the car until early October, so that isn't a problem at all.)

Anywho, thought I'd pass along Mustang sales conditions in L.A.

-goof

(By the way, the dealer was South Bay Ford... Rosecrans at the 405 near Redondo Beach.)

• Sponsors (?)

Goof,

You can go to almost any other "fine" Ford dealership in the area and get the same stellar reception and customer service you received at South Bay Ford! I pretty much tried them all before I resigned myself to a 12-week wait and placed my order with Villa Ford.

The most egregious example I found was at McCoy Mills Ford in Anaheim. They had a GT Premium vert marked up $8000 PLUS dealer installed options which brought the car's sticker to $45k!

Oh the best were the criminals at Board Ford in Whittier. Complete and utter liars, I even reported them to Ford I was so annoyed with them. "Yes we'll sell you the Silver GT here for X-plan." Go down there, let's just say that never happened.

Anyway, this markup was classic. A fully-loaded GT Premium with markup and ugly ghetto 20-inch rims was $48,000. I said to the guy, "$48,000 for a Mustang GT?" He said, "Of course and we'll get it." I just laughed in his face.

This is also the same dealer that told me that Ford doesn't allow ordering on Mustang GT's....I kid you not, they said that.

[QUOTE='01SilverBullet]Oh the best were the criminals at Board Ford in Whittier. Complete and utter liars, I even reported them to Ford I was so annoyed with them. "Yes we'll sell you the Silver GT here for X-plan." Go down there, let's just say that never happened.

Anyway, this markup was classic. A fully-loaded GT Premium with markup and ugly ghetto 20-inch rims was $48,000. I said to the guy, "$48,000 for a Mustang GT?" He said, "Of course and we'll get it." I just laughed in his face.

This is also the same dealer that told me that Ford doesn't allow ordering on Mustang GT's....I kid you not, they said that.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on Board Ford! The salesperson I spoke with was rude, annoying, condescending and dishonest...and those were his admirable qualities. He actually said that "people are lined up to buy them at $10k over MSRP" and that Ford wasn't taking any more orders for 2005 GTs and that was back in January! The got actually cut me off and said "You're wasting my time with questions. If you want a GT you'll pay our price" before he hung up on me. I immediately called back and spoke with the GSM. Told him the guy's name and that he had just lost a potential future customer and based on the attitude of his sales staff he's going to lose a lot more. Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park was only slightly better. Same bull**** but with a better demeanor.

GOLDENPONY said:
I wouldn't pay that for a Mustang if Danica Patrick was sitting naked in the passenger seat with two tickets to Hawaii in her hand! :D

If I get to keep the car and Danica, here's the check! :D

Attachments

• danica-sparco.jpg
    danica-sparco.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 124
for those that are still looking..may I recommend Colley Ford in glendora (la area)..Since I work for Banks exhaust and my Boss is personal friends with the owner (karl colley) we get preferrential treatment on vehicles.Call over there and tell him Chris from Banks referred you and I would bet he will take better care of you than those crappy other places.Probably sticker or slightly under is my best guess...hope this helps those interested