maybe going to buy 1986 mustang GT need advice.

FAST VENOM

Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
There is a 1986 Mustang GT in town for sale Black with Grey int. has 119,000 miles on it but the motor has been rebuilt to stock sounds good to me has better than stock cam in it 5.0 fuel inj. man. trans. clean int. and no rust I can see just some imperfections in the paint and scratches nothing bad, the car has no options except tilt wheel and a stereo it has a new heater core and exhaust with the H pipe this GT is the last kind with the 4 square headlights car looks cool, he is asking $4,000 for it:shrug: is this car worth it or is he over priced ? kelly blue book says 1,500 to $1,700 but you know how that goes with that you would never have a Classic going by that, and what should I look for on that year for problem spots, I am a old Classic Buick Man just starting on the Mustangs and I really like them they are alot of Fun so help me out here on this one so I can have a 06 GT and maybe a 86 GT the old and the New Thanks Dan. :nice:

OH and what No#,s should I be looking for to make sure its a Real one ?

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure on #'s but that thing would have to be near mint for 4k, they are not that desirable only for the fact they are the last year for the 4 eyed nose and the 1st year fuel injection, The engines are not desirable because the pistons on them are not notched, If i were you take that 4k and buy a 89-93 coupe. Coupes are light as hell. With the right modifications 12's are easily attainable, and since MAF started in 89 you can install a cam, rockers, heads, bigger airflow meter, throttle body...ETC.

for $4k, the car better have some mild bolt ons. i bought mine about 7+ years ago, paid $4500 back the, but it had tinted windows, fairly fresh paint and 4.10s installed. i would try to stay in the $3000 range unless it had aftermarket pistons, cam and some gt40 iron heads.

the flat top pistons love nitrous btw.

Thanks guys but I need more info if possible He wants to sell soon because he wants to buy a 96 Cobra from his cousin and is just waiting to see if the loan will go thru for him, I like the look of the 86 with the 4 square headlights with Black paint some Auto Drag Centerlines smoked headlight covers Raised up Suspension and a 2 1/2 fiberglass raised hood with a 3" exhaust, looks bad a--on the street, seen one years ago and loved that style ever since, any info at all would be Great Thanks Dan. :SNSign:

dan, what its really gonna boil down to is "do YOU think its worth $4k?"
you can ask any of us here, but its really up to you!

but from the way you describe it, 3300 might be more right in the price range.

Well scratch that car looked it over and the guy said it was original paint Well it wasen't even the original color it use to be Grey they didn't even paint the door jambs or under the hatch Black they are still Grey and the hatch had been welded for some reason rust maybe, so all around it was a $1,200 car to me so the search goes on Thanks for the help guys FAST VENOM Out.