Measuring For Pushrods...mid-lift Method Or Not?

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Man, just when I thought I had a basic understanding of what I'm doing, I stumbled across this mid-lift thing. I've only done stud mount rockers once and that was back in 2009 when I first built this stroker, so my memory is already muddy at best. I have myself some ghetto solid lifters and an adjustable pushrod (that I'm probably going to break because I don't have the light pressure valve springs). I get the basic idea behind adjusting the pushrod and using a marker on the valve stem and such, but what about this mid-lift method? Anyone wanna throw in their two cents? I'm not looking to break any dyno records here, I just want the safest and most reliable method to measure for pushrods.

• Sponsors (?)

You can use any method you want. What I do is keep adjusting the push rod in .050 increments until that gives maximum lift at the valve. I have the dial indicator on the valve. Before I start I have already checked what the lift was at the lifter. So with that number and the rocker ratio you can calculate the theoretrical lift at the valve. I have a Proform valve checker kit that makes this really easy that I bought years ago. Once you are finished check your scrub at the valve and adjust as necessary. It's all about kintimatics.

Without getting to deep mid lift does can get you there. I have found it to be ineffective on high lift big spring pressure as you end up with poor geometry at 0 and max lift and ideal at mid lift. What this causes at high lift is push rod deflection/adjuster or rocker failure on the push rod end.

I used this method for my most recent build, worked out great.
In the video they used lightweight check springs but I did not and was able
to get correct results.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5is9BsH5OU

Man that is the most clear explanation I've seen for any method of measuring. He didn't mention anything about accounting for valve lash though, should I worry about that? Gasket thickness is accounted for since the head is torqued down, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Gasket thickness would be accounted for if head is torqued. I used this method when assembling my
engine on the stand and just snugged the heads. I also did it with engine installed and heads torqued
when I changed rockers, worked well in both applications.

Gasket thickness would be accounted for if head is torqued. I used this method when assembling my
engine on the stand and just snugged the heads. I also did it with engine installed and heads torqued
when I changed rockers, worked well in both applications.

Did you follow up with doing the marker marks on the valve stem afterwards?