Mercury Capri Junkyard Find......

So, I have been searching around for a fox car to possibly start as a project. I've been browsing ads looking for something to work on and build up. I simply want something straight, and rust free. Today, I'm walking through a local yard searching for odds and ends and I spot a bubble hatch Capri. Getting closer to it, I realize it's in pretty fair shape for a car just sitting in a boneyard. No rust or exterior damage but paint worn thin to the bare metal. Carbed 6 cylinder with a 5-speed, motor looked surprisinly clean with all parts intact. Full, but dirty interior and non-cracked dashpad. The yard was closing so I didn't get a change to ask about it but I wanted some input and thoughts about buying a j-yard car to fix up?What's something like I'm describing worth? I mean, it's nothing too rare, just a straight four-eye Capri. I've tinkerered with the idea of a basic 351 car for awile and this looks to be a good base to start with. Only problem is, I want a title and yards rarely have them. Any thoughts or inspirations on starting a project like this?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't mind capri's, i've seen a bunch that i truely liked.
I just would rather own a mustang.
And i think for a long term, keep forever type of project, i'd use an original v8 car.
Original v8 cars hold more value.

If you're going to keep it forever, why does it matter what the value is? :shrug:

ANY Capri is going to be worth more than a run-of-the-mill V8 Mustang. They're WAY more rare.

EDIT: I know! Buy it, fix it up to running condition, and then sell it to Frankenstang! :D

Capri's are rare. Buy that ****er! :eek:
I have passed up 3 in the past six months.

one 4cy turbo Rs, the guy was asking $250

and two 5.0 rs that were going for around $1500. :shrug:

as for the OP. Most junkyards around here will not sell a car, when they get the car they let the dmv it is going to be scrapped. Then they basically void the title. not sure what your state does.

If you're going to keep it forever, why does it matter what the value is? :shrug:

ANY Capri is going to be worth more than a run-of-the-mill V8 Mustang. They're WAY more rare.

EDIT: I know! Buy it, fix it up to running condition, and then sell it to Frankenstang! :D

What you plan to do, and what happens are sometimes different, so if you plan to keep it forever, you may need to unload it someday.

And i completely disagree with a capri being worth more than a mustang, ever.
Side by side, equivalent condition, i bet 99 out of 100 times a person would buy the mustang over the capri.
Capri's aren't that hard to find.

+1 I don't see what the big fuss over Capri's is about. If they are so valuable why do I see them rotting in the junkyard ? You don't hear much about people restoring Capris either :shrug: .

Because people are stupid. There are way more Mustangs than there are Capris. I do admit though, Capris are an aquired taste. I honestly HATED them when they first came out.