Mid to high RPM miss, Whats Up?

RYC CUKR

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
Orlando
Ok,

I haven't driven the 93 for a few days and I get in and start it up. Get going and I get on the gas pretty hard and between 3500 and 4000 RPM it starts to develop a pretty good miss. So I start varying the driving conditions.

If I just ease on the throttle it is fine revs up to 5k no prob but the minute I start to get a little aggressive with it the miss shows up. It only does it while I am driving. So I went through and checked my timing, plugs and wires and such and they look fine. I had done a tune up on the car a few months ago with all the usual stuff and replaced the fuel filter at the same time.

Any ideas on where I should look next, is it a fuel issue or an ignition issue? Any ideas on where to look would be appreciated. At least it isn't my daily driver.

• Sponsors (?)

RYC CUKR said:
Ok,

It only does it while I am driving.
LOL, I am glad it does not miss when the car is off. :)
EDIT: did you mean it revs fine while the vehicle is stationary?

i would start with pulling codes if you have not done so. does this happen more with a hot or cold motor? if you have a FP gauge, i might hook it up and see what happens with the pressure at higher rpms. otherwise, i might be lookin at the ignition, as your surmised (i personally think it can be easier to eliminate fuel issues than spark).

good luck.

Sounds like a TFI modual to me but ***** could be almost anything ignition doesnt sound like fuel to me unless its more of a power loss as the RPM's go up rather then the feeling of a miss.... Usally the TFI will throw a code when it goes bad but that would be the first thing I would look at ... BTW incase ya dont know what sensor im talkin about its the lil box looking thing on the side of the housing on the distributor where the electrical plugs into... :flag: good luck with that

HISSIN50 said:
LOL, I am glad it does not miss when the car is off. :)
EDIT: did you mean it revs fine while the vehicle is stationary?

i would start with pulling codes if you have not done so. does this happen more with a hot or cold motor? if you have a FP gauge, i might hook it up and see what happens with the pressure at higher rpms. otherwise, i might be lookin at the ignition, as your surmised (i personally think it can be easier to eliminate fuel issues than spark).

good luck.

Wise ass :rlaugh:

Hey at least it is a good way to get a FP guage and not have to justify it to my wife. I figure that is where I will start and then work back from there to the ignition. It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold it will miss just the same. One other thing I noticed that I forgot to mention was that the car was running a little warmer. Usually it runs right at the halfway mark but it was running about 1 mark higher.

I appreciate all everyone's input.

Well I found my problem, Plug wire had come off one of the spark plugs. It was still on there but not completely seated on the plug. :owned: Running just like it should now. Still a little warm. I do think that I might have an issue with a small head gasket leak but I am too lazy right now to run a compression check on it.

glad to hear you got it - BTW, the part of me that you quoted as being 'wise' is the only part which really is. :)

sometimes slightly crimping the wire connector inside the plug wire boot helps keep it on there. also, i go back and forth with the wire and squish the boot to help get the air out (or the air trapped can push the wire back off).