Engine might be a noob question but here it goes

• Sponsors (?)

forgot to add i tried disconnecting the battery and when i hooked it back up the codes are still there. koeo after code 11 and 1 blink. am i correct in saying codes in memory ?

Code 11 is the code you want to see, means everything is OK.
Is your stang running ok?

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off, and clutch (if present) is pressed to the floor, and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.
great sticky but that seems to be for engine running codes. so if i get code 11 with koeo im good and code 11 with koer im good ? what about the 2 codes i have in memory ? code 96 and 66

Here is a thread that addresses 96 and 66 if you scroll down in it. Since you are new here, I’ll let you know the search function works well, unlike FB. I found this thread and many others with the search for “code 66 96”.
Code 96 - The fuel pump relay/circuit code is common. If the car is priming for 10 seconds with the key on, but not started or running yet, and it is timing fine, do not worry about it.
Code 66 is about the MAF. @jrichker has a help post there you probably really need.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
great sticky but that seems to be for engine running codes. so if i get code 11 with koeo im good and code 11 with koer im good ? what about the 2 codes i have in memory ? code 96 and 66
Clear the codes, drive the car a week or two and see if they come back.

How to clear codes.
Clearing the codes by pressing a button on the scan tool or disconnecting the test jumper used to start the code dump does not erase the “learned settings”. All it does is erase the stored codes in memory.

You must clear the codes anytime you replace any sensor. The following tells you how and is different from the method above
Clear the computer codes by disconnecting the battery negative terminal and turn the headlights on. Turn the headlights off and reconnect the all sensors including the MAF and anything else you may have disconnected. Then reconnect the battery negative cable.. This clears all spurious codes may have been generated while troubleshooting problems. It also clears the adaptive settings that the computer "learns" as it operates. Clearing the codes does not fix the code problems, it just gives you a clean slate to start recording what the computer sees happening.

Run the car for at least 30 minutes of driving and dump the codes again to assure that you have fixed the code problem or sensor problem. This is necessary for the computer to relearn the adaptive settings that the computer uses for proper operation. The engine may run rough at first, but should smooth out as it runs for the 15-20 minute learning period.

• Useful
big help from you guys as always. thanks. im getting used to the search . i promise ill stop asking stupid questions soon. :O_o: i just my 89 back on the road after 7-8 years and i worked out a ton of stuff aready with help from u guys but still a couple minor issues still to overcome. ill use your replies and try those things in the next couple days and report back. car seems to run fine once its up to temp. on the first start of everyday it idles and runs like total poo until it reaches temp. thanks again

Don't worry about asking questions. That's what this is for. Now to clear up the info you got above.
Code 66 is my birthday year so that means you owe me a birthday present. I do not have info on whose birthday is in 96 but once claimed, they will also need a birthday gift. Gift cards from automotive establishments are always great! :jester:

Don't worry about asking questions. That's what this is for. Now to clear up the info you got above.
Code 66 is my birthday year so that means you owe me a birthday present. I do not have info on whose birthday is in 96 but once claimed, they will also need a birthday gift. Gift cards from automotive establishments are always great! :jester:
well u didnt reply with any info :rolleyes: so no gift for u . lol. when i throw a code that is "Genral Karthief" , "7991lxnsho" or "Jrichker" birth year they will receive a gift

• Hell Yeah!
karthief, that was referring to the code birth year gift reference. thats my birth year. sorry the thread got a little off course. nothing wrong with having some fun though

Thanks! I will be pleasantly surprised as my actual birth year as a code does not pop up often. I got no hits with the search here, And Bing looks like it would be a 3.8 code or rare MAP or MAF code, maybe not used on the Mustangs.

well u didnt reply with any info :rolleyes: so no gift for u . lol. when i throw a code that is "Genral Karthief" , "7991lxnsho" or "Jrichker" birth year they will receive a gift

i cleared my codes successfully and drove the car for a while . checked to see what codes reappeared and i had code 21 pop up. coolant temp out of range. changed the sensor and disconnected the battery and upon start up it seemed to have solved the crappy idle and running issue during cold start the last couple days. thank all you guys for the input. i guess in a roundabout way all the info led me to the fix. at least for now. if the same issue arises in the near future i will give an update. this forum is awesome. i wish i was in the position to give everyone a birth year code gift ! :cool: