Mild Street class

black50

Sep 22, 2006
:Track Building A new motor for the mild street class for next ford fever classic @ mir
max cu. for this class is 331 n/a stock suspesion oem replacement, no sheet metal intakes full interior curb weight @ 331 has to be 3200 lbs. I want to take my two bolt main block to the max with a main gridle. for internals I was thinking billet steel crank, aluminium rods, forged pistons, hell fire rings. I know that sounds like a bit much but I wanted the rotating assembly to be as light as possible. Target hp is around 500-550hp. I knowthat the head and mani combo has to flow atleast 300 cfm. what I'm not sure of is how big of a throttle bodie, injectors, mass air meter, compression ratio, gear ratio to go with... anyone know if a 331 n/a can reach those hp figures with the right combo naturally aspirated? Top qualifying times were high 9's and low 10's.
:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

:Track Building A new motor for the mild street class for next ford fever classic @ mir
max cu. for this class is 331 n/a stock suspesion oem replacement, no sheet metal intakes full interior curb weight @ 331 has to be 3200 lbs. I want to take my two bolt main block to the max with a main gridle. for internals I was thinking billet steel crank, aluminium rods, forged pistons, hell fire rings. I know that sounds like a bit much but I wanted the rotating assembly to be as light as possible. Target hp is around 500-550hp. I knowthat the head and mani combo has to flow atleast 300 cfm. what I'm not sure of is how big of a throttle bodie, injectors, mass air meter, compression ratio, gear ratio to go with... anyone know if a 331 n/a can reach those hp figures with the right combo naturally aspirated? Top qualifying times were high 9's and low 10's.
:nice:

First things first. With 500-550hp, that block will not hold up long under the abuse that the "Mild Street Class" will make you do:) Also, I realize streetability is not a big deal.

Otherwise, keep the rotating assembly as light as possible (crankshaft, rods, pistons, aluminum flywheel, and lightweight harmonic balancer).

Get a 5.4" rod/1.175" piston, AFR 205's, nicely PORTED Holley Systemax.

Is there any restrictions on gas? Can you use C-12?

The high compression will largely be dictacted by your camshaft and static compression ratio (piston and combustion chamber choice), and the ability to run pump-gas or not.

Forget the hellfire rings.

A custom camshaft is an absolute must, in my opinion.

To be anywhere near the competition, it is going to cost money and in that comes experimentation.

Gear ratio will need to be steep, I'm thinking 4.30 to 4.56 with a tall tire.

Throttle Body needs to be atleast 75mm TB, 90mm MAF, 30-42 lb injectors and tune it!

Get all the weight to the back as much as possible, like battery relocation, delete the powersteering, a/c, etc.

Just some ideas for you. Hopefully someone more familiar with the rules of the "game" can help out better.

Good Luck, and it sounds like fun:nice:

Sound similar to the NMRA Pure Street class with the excection of the 331 cubes we only get 312. I can tell first off it requires alot of testing, light rotating weight one hell of a clinder head (we are limited to 180cc intake) and a big bumpstick (limited to .500 inches). Oh and don't forget the willingness to rev it till its about to come apart. Top runners in the class run 10.2 at 130's. That definately sounds like a 75mm with 30's or better class along with a 90 mil mass air. Post the rules

mild street

there is a factory street class, and my motor as it sits could run in that class except for the heads I have gt-40 al. x303 turbo swirls, I would have to use the iron set to compete in class. and my 75mm tb would have to be stepped down, I have an e303 cam, which could would, and my polished corba intake would work as well. max cu for this class is 311... but if I'm going to change the rotating assembly and get the block work done. I want more cubes and horse power....

thats why I decided to go with this class, I was thinking Stage three ported trickflow high ports or R, with reichard racing mani, both flow excess 300 cfm @ around .550 lift. 85 mm accufab throttle bodie 36lb injectors...... just not sure about this combo, and what compression ratio to run, being this class is N/A my goal is to get 500-550hp, I've already purchased a new tko 600 trans no backing out now on my hp goals now:lol: bottom end is going to be a billet steel crank, lightest available, GRP Al rods, and custom forged pistons domed... been searching for a al. four bolt main bolt, can you say $$$$$$

Any thoughts,,, curb weight has to be 3200lb, I'll post rules for the class later

never heard of them, where are those builders located? are they online? I've got Steen racing in VA, and locally JPC racing! I'll google the names

Clutch for a tko 600

I've purchased a tko 600 I thinks its a 26 spline, is that didn't than the stock t-5 in my car currently? I have a king corba clutch in the car! would that would with the tko.. whats a good clutch rated @ 600hp/600lb? also have a pro 5.0 shifter is that enterchangeable between the two....

Been searching for a good clutch for a 26 spline input shaft

looked @ mcleods, rams, centerforce, spec can't find one rated @ 600hp/600ft lbs of torque, also can't find a 90mm Mas air that can be calibrated to 50lb injectors, Pro-m makes a 75mm for the fox body, Grantelli makes one but only up to 42lb injectors..

You are probably going to want to go with a custom set-up. My advice is to do some searches for "custom clutch" and maybe you can come up with something.

If all else fails, contact killercanary on this site, and he will point you in the right direction for a custom clutch.

Good Luck!

Sound similar to the NMRA Pure Street class with the excection of the 331 cubes we only get 312. I can tell first off it requires alot of testing, light rotating weight one hell of a clinder head (we are limited to 180cc intake) and a big bumpstick (limited to .500 inches). Oh and don't forget the willingness to rev it till its about to come apart. Top runners in the class run 10.2 at 130's. That definately sounds like a 75mm with 30's or better class along with a 90 mil mass air. Post the rules

Thats exactly what it is.... they use the PS rules as a base and then tweak them to get the car counts up... such as allowing 331 CI with a weight penalty.

Ryan Hecox won it last year, i believe Teddy Weaver won the year before. There are usually a few PS cars on the top half of the ladder. Not sure who won this year as I didnt go.

To the OP, I would check out the NMRA Pure Street rules and also what those guys run as they are usually the top qualifiers in the Mild class and eventual winners.... and they do it with 311 ci or less. Jason Miller (who makes the rules and family owns the track) can be contacted through the MIR webpage, which you may want to do just to see if he has any idea what changes are going to be made for next years event. You may also want to contact RGR (Rich Groh Racing) as he has raced Pure Street, MIRs Mild class, and built his own engines and that of Ryan Hecox and many other NMRA cars.

Here are the rules for the class in question;

Race Format
Quick 16 field, run on a pro ladder. Heads-up, .400 tree, no breakout, first to finish wins.

Body
1979 & newer Mustangs. Cowl hoods only are allowed.

Engine
302W and 4.6 modular motors permitted only. Electric water pumps are allowed. Any internal modifications allowed. Maximum CID for 302W blocks is 331ci. Maximum CID for 4.6 blocks is 289ci.

Induction
A single carburetor or EFI is allowed. Commercially available cast intake manifolds only are allowed. Sheet metal intake manifolds are prohibited. Carbureted vehicles are only allowed to run dual plane intakes.

Power Adders
Not permitted.

Interior
OEM Glass windows, 2 front seats, dash & full carpet required, no bare paneling.

Drivetrain
Stock style transmission only.

Chassis
Full stock uni-body chassis is required. Aftermarket “K” members are allowed.

Suspension
Stock type suspension is required. Front coil overs are permitted. Direct replacement aftermarket A-arms are allowed. Welded on rear sway bars are permitted. Ladder bars and wheelie bars are prohibited.

Exhaust
Mufflers required & extend to axle.

Tires
Any size DOT radial tire is permitted or a 26.6” x 10.6” maximum size slick or street slick is permitted. No “w” tires allowed.

Minimum Weight
All minimum weights include driver and vehicle.

Up to 311W: 3100 lbs.
312W-331W: 3300 lbs.
4.6 (2 valve): 2700 lbs.
4.6 (3 valve): 2900 lbs.
4.6 (4 valve): 3000 lbs.

*Carbureted vehicles: add 50 lbs.
*AOD transmissions: deduct 50lbs.

http://www.mirdrag.com/ford/mst.htm

this years finals was a 90's red notch back, and wicked chamelon modular mustang 02-03, notch back was sponsored by JPC... I see the notch back alot and he runs pretty consisted, same one that broke the rear on pinks all out, any one know who the driver is? thanks for the good information

this years finals was a 90's red notch back, and wicked chamelon modular mustang 02-03, notch back was sponsored by JPC... I see the notch back alot and he runs pretty consisted, same one that broke the rear on pinks all out, any one know who the driver is? thanks for the good information

Ron Cullumber is the owner/driver of the red coupe, the new edge car is Teddy Weaver.