Minor accident.

vegeta_nc

Apr 20, 2004
Houston, TX
Hello fellow mustang enthusiasts. I rear ended someone last night about half a mile away from home. And of course I got all the damage. It was raining and rush hour. I crossed a 4 lane busy road at a light and heard and saw a cop with lights and sirens on about 50 feet to the left of me. After I crossed the road I looked in my mirrors to see if the cop was coming my way so I could pull off to the side like most other people do. But people infront of me stopped cause someone was turning. And I didn't look forward in time and smacked into a small car like a toyota camery. All she got was a huge wide scratch on her bumper. I've been driveing for 10 years and this is the first time I'm on this side of an accident.

My car is a 1991 2.3L. We found a whole parts car that is a 1988 2.3L model that has been sitting for a few years. It's on the other side of town so we haven't even seen it yet.

Will the bumper, hood, and core support fit? I know I need alot more then that but those seem to be the large important parts.

We all love to see pics so I put them up here.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

The 88 parts will fit but the wheel opening on the fender is a little smaller than the 91. Your damage looks a lot like what happened to me over Christmas. It looks like to me that you don’t need a new core support. The part that looks damaged is called the header panel, it is what the headlights and bumper cover bolt to. You can find a reproduction on ebay or 50resto.com.

Dan

You sure have my sympathy....I hit a deer over Christmas and it did $8000 damage to my 94 Town Car. Of course, I had just had it painted and installed a complet new air suspension system....ugh. It happens so quick, and the damage is soooo nasty.

Good luck on the repairs...I hope it all works ok and everything fits. I don't suppose that the junk yard car is the same color as your.....

The donor car is red-ish orange. I already got a quote to repaint the bumper and hood for $500. I used to work at a BMW dealership in the parts department, I went to a shop that we did alot of business with and got that quote. Does this seem fair? I've never had to take my car to a body shop before.

The core support doesnt appear to be damaged, so it looks like youll need a hood, front bumper, header panel, lights, and maybe the foam or plastic bumper reinforcement.

All of those parts from the 88 will interchange, but you will have to do some trimming with the header panel and front bumper to accomodate the airbag sensors, it isnt much, but make sure it is done before paint, so it will look nicer.

And look on the bright side, your front bumper will no longer have that faded paint on it!

NO!!! The donner car turned out to be a 86' or older! I'm so mad now. Now I have to go search the local scrap yards.

manny, I live in Houston Texas.

I miss driveing my car so bad.

I got the headlight parts I need.
If anyone knows someone in the north Houston area that has anything I need, please let me know.