Minor Timing Cover Install SNAFU

Xticee

Oct 1, 2007
So my inner meat head got the best of me last night as I was installing my timing cover. All was cool until I started tightening down the oil pan to cover bolts.....without a torque wrench:stupid: Anyhow I over torq'd the bolts and the cork gaskets squeezed out quite a bit on both sides and even split on one side. I covered them pretty good with RTV on both sides before I put them on and it should've sealed pretty decently. But what do you guys think, should I redo it or take my chances? I was hoping to get it fired up this weekend, but redoing it puts me back another day or 2.

Thanks,
Jay

• Sponsors (?)

I would redo it. Sure enough you'll get it all back together and it will leak. A day or two delay now will be better starting over when it does leak. I used a Ford one piece rubber gasket from Summit P/N FMS-M-6710-A50, $18.88, nice stuff. Also, use a torque wrench :nono:
Summit has fast shipping, I've never been disappointed with them. Good luck!

Dang, I thought you knew of a 1 piece replacement timing cover gasket.....how nice would that be. I don't plan on dropping the pan at this time, but if I ever do I will definitely use that 1 piece gasket.

Yeah, I knew better, every other bolt has been turned w/torq wrench. But it was 1:00 am & I didn't feel like going downstairs to get the one that fit.

I am debating on whether or not to take mine off and do it again to, since I dont know if I put enough RTV in the corner where I put in the new cork gasket on the oil pan. I put some but not a bead since I forgot. Anyone think that will cause a leak?

Edit: Yeah I am going to take mine off because I just read some posts about not using RTV besides on the corners and I used it else where so mine will be off and put back on tomorrow

I am debating on whether or not to take mine off and do it again to, since I dont know if I put enough RTV in the corner where I put in the new cork gasket on the oil pan. I put some but not a bead since I forgot. Anyone think that will cause a leak?

Edit: Yeah I am going to take mine off because I just read some posts about not using RTV besides on the corners and I used it else where so mine will be off and put back on tomorrow

If the engine is almost buttoned up then try it out, if it is not too much to take it apart and do it right then do that...

Engine's far from being buttoned up, so access is as easy as it gets right now. I'll be redoing it. Suppose the piece of mind is worth the cheap gasket set.

Danman, what are you referring to on the "RTV not being used besides on the corners"? I used in the corners and coated the cork gaskets with it. Are you saying that is not recommended?

Yeah I did the same thing as you, as I am installing my timing cover now too. I then started reading up on timing cover installs and people said to only use the high tack yellow rtv to hold it in place. Then to use a bead of it by the corners and by the other side of the cork gasket ends