• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

mm brake upgrade kit

  • Thread starter Thread starter mattkimsey
  • Start date Start date Feb 4, 2004

mattkimsey

I've compiled a list to recap this thread:
Jan 22, 2004
346
0
0
Bessemer City NC
Feb 4, 2004
#1
  • Feb 4, 2004
  • #1
Has anyone used the brake kit? is it any good? I just thought 250 dollars doesnt seem like a bad deal if it does what it says.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Feb 4, 2004
#2
  • Feb 4, 2004
  • #2
See http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/ for budget brake upgrade help.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,056
224
Massachusetts
Feb 4, 2004
#3
  • Feb 4, 2004
  • #3
mattkimsey said:
I just thought 250 dollars doesnt seem like a bad deal
Click to expand...

It does seem like a bad deal if you went to autozone and bought two calipers from a mid 80's crown vic with the police package on it.

$250 vs. $30?

I'll take the autozone calipers!!
 

TrophyHead

15 Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
1,195
11
49
PA
Feb 4, 2004
#4
  • Feb 4, 2004
  • #4
Yeah is it just me or does MM seem like a rip off? Some of there higher end stuff is worth it but but gezz 250 bucks for calipers.
 

TheFleshRocket

Founding Member
Jul 10, 2002
208
0
16
Southern Ill Annoy
Feb 4, 2004
#5
  • Feb 4, 2004
  • #5
Are you talking about this kit? If so, I only see pads, shoes, steel lines and caliper sleeves. There's nothing mentioned about actual calipers.

As far as the pricing goes, you might be underestimating the cost of steel brake lines. A two-line steel brake kit for my GSX-R cost me $130, and that's pretty much about market value for them for bikes. The MM kit includes 3 lines. I'd say that the MM kit might be a bit pricy, but I wouldn't consider it outright expensive.

I prefer EBC pads and upgraded to a set of their Green Stuff on the front of my Stang.
 

mattkimsey

I've compiled a list to recap this thread:
Jan 22, 2004
346
0
0
Bessemer City NC
Feb 4, 2004
#6
  • Feb 4, 2004
  • #6
TheFleshRocket said:
Are you talking about this kit? If so, I only see pads, shoes, steel lines and caliper sleeves. There's nothing mentioned about actual calipers.

As far as the pricing goes, you might be underestimating the cost of steel brake lines. A two-line steel brake kit for my GSX-R cost me $130, and that's pretty much about market value for them for bikes. The MM kit includes 3 lines. I'd say that the MM kit might be a bit pricy, but I wouldn't consider it outright expensive.

I prefer EBC pads and upgraded to a set of their Green Stuff on the front of my Stang.
Click to expand...
yeah, thats the kit Im talkin about it doesnt include calipers. Has anybody used it?
 
8

87gtconv

ragtopman
Founding Member
Feb 11, 1999
2,595
0
0
Southern Calif
Feb 5, 2004
#7
  • Feb 5, 2004
  • #7
Yes, I bought the kit from them and got the calipers on eBay! I also got the Cobra MC kit and kept my stock power booster! Everything installed good although I had a hard time with air in the system. Has to really seat the pads as they made my pedal feel kinda light with no feel at all at first. Only problem is that I lock up my right front way before I lock up the left front! I am going to put in a fitting Matt Bobbitt told me about in an effort to keep the right front from lock up. It is really bad in the wet!
 

Matt90GT

Founding Member
May 6, 2001
3,055
0
0
Oregon
Feb 5, 2004
#8
  • Feb 5, 2004
  • #8
87gtconv said:
Yes, I bought the kit from them and got the calipers on eBay! I also got the Cobra MC kit and kept my stock power booster! Everything installed good although I had a hard time with air in the system. Has to really seat the pads as they made my pedal feel kinda light with no feel at all at first. Only problem is that I lock up my right front way before I lock up the left front! I am going to put in a fitting Matt Bobbitt told me about in an effort to keep the right front from lock up. It is really bad in the wet!
Click to expand...

Also be sure you did not install the calipers on the wrong side! If you do, you will never be able to bleed them right mounted.

The fitting should be facing like this:



Common installation error with the stock and 73mm calipers.
 
8

87gtconv

ragtopman
Founding Member
Feb 11, 1999
2,595
0
0
Southern Calif
Feb 17, 2004
#9
  • Feb 17, 2004
  • #9
Checked and they are installed right and finally they did bleed Ok and pedal feel is real good now. But they still lock up the right front way too early at speeds over 40 mph. Slower speed lock up is ok now after I put in a new proportioning valve!!
 

Matt90GT

Founding Member
May 6, 2001
3,055
0
0
Oregon
Feb 17, 2004
#10
  • Feb 17, 2004
  • #10
How do you have your conversion ran? Post a pic if you can.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Auto City Classics 67-70 Mustang disc brake kit question/s
  • GOvert
  • Jun 30, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
103
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 30, 2026
GOvert
G
Brakes FOX BRAKES ISSUES
  • PonyGTrider
  • Jan 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2 3
Replies
53
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jan 31, 2026
Mustang5L5
Brake pad and rotor upgrade
  • Sparky714
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
483
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 17, 2026
Sparky714
S
Engine Belt routing with supercharger and smog/ac/ps delete
  • Steve6482
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
96
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 15, 2026
Steve6482
S
Fox Brake lines hitting bump stops
  • keel
  • Sep 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
18
Views
366
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 24, 2026
keel
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?