More 68 Mustang help needed

Stang4Geezer

Jun 23, 2016
Hey guys and gals, I need more advise. I'm currently trying to get the axle shafts back into the rear end after R & R-ing the axle bearings and seals. Is there a trick in getting the shaft splines to mesh with the internal gears? I can get them to go in as far as starting the bearing to mate up but can't seem to go any further. I am about an inch out yet. I don't suppose its a good idea to pull it home with the mounting bolts. Any advise will be very much appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing you put a traction lock? the side gear which is two pieces can get out of alignment? Can one (right) side go in?
slide in part of the way and you can turn the ring gear to slide home. Once one side is in put tire and drop on ground to hold it and rotate the other axle until the side gear is aligned and the axle will go in fully. The tighter the posi the harder this is to do.

If this doesn't work take pumpkin back out and align on bench and get both to slide in first.
Hope this helps it to work.

I'm guessing you put a traction lock? the side gear which is two pieces can get out of alignment? Can one (right) side go in?
slide in part of the way and you can turn the ring gear to slide home. Once one side is in put tire and drop on ground to hold it and rotate the other axle until the side gear is aligned and the axle will go in fully. The tighter the posi the harder this is to do.

If this doesn't work take pumpkin back out and align on bench and get both to slide in first.
Hope this helps it to work.
2Blue2, no I didin't put in a traction lock setup. I'm pretty sure it didn't have one before either but, I have never driven this car. It was not a driver when I got hold of it 30 years ago. That's why I'm going thru it from front to back and replacing the parts that will have deteriorated with time. I'm not that familiar with Fords nor Mustangs but I don't believe these rear ends use a clip inside the pumpkin to hold the axle shafts in place since there was no groove anyplace on the splined end so I don't understand why it won't just slide in (with a little effort, of course.) I can't get the spline to even begin to engage the gear on the inside. Do you have any other suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to think about this. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
2Blue2, I think I got them in, well, mostly. If I turn the wheel studs the yoke turns. That's on both sides, so I assume they are in. Once I realized what was keeping them from meshing (operator error)they slid in relatively easily. However, the bearing is still sticking out about 1/4 inch and I don't remember if it was that way when I pulled the axles. Do you have any info on that? Also, if the bearings are supposed to sit flush with the axle housing, how do I get them there.....mallet, sledge, mounting bolts??? Thanks for your help.

There should be a bearing retainer plate between the bearing and axle flange and it should sit flat. There are no c-clips as the bearing retainer keeps the axles from sliding out. The bearing race might be binding or still have a slight interference fit. Tap the axle flange with a dead blow and see if it pops in.

Reactions: 1 user
There should be a bearing retainer plate between the bearing and axle flange and it should sit flat. There are no c-clips as the bearing retainer keeps the axles from sliding out. The bearing race might be binding or still have a slight interference fit. Tap the axle flange with a dead blow and see if it pops in.

Yes the retainer plate is there. I'll try the dead blow and see what happens. Thanks for the reply, Cool Beans. Too late and too hot today so I'll try this tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

Well, the axles are in, the brakes are assembled and the drums are on. Now on to hooking up the e-brake cable. Thanks for your help 2Blue2 and CoolBeans. It's muchly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users