More shaft mounted radio ideas please

cfauvel

Founding Member
Dec 30, 2001
Sarasota,Fl
ok an often hashed out subject, but here it goes.

1969 Mach 1 is the car.

I could use my currently functioning JVC receiver/cassette, but the wattage is so low that it just sounds like dog doodoo with my new 6x9 Pioneer 3way.

I'm guessing the little amp is clipping before being able to throw the woofer speaker fully.

Options are to install an amp...don't need much 50x4 @4ohms will be fine. Problem is I'm not to keen on having an amp mounted in the trunk nor am I keen on running a big cable from the battery through the firewall out to the trunk. The car is a show car mostly.

another alternative is to install a higher powered head unit with CD player in the dash, This would require cutting the radio bezel.

Sacramento Mustang sell afer market radios with cd player with a specially made radio bezel that makes the installation super clean...it comes in black/silver or burle wood....problem, they don't sell JUST the bezel.

If they did, Kenwood sells the model EZ500, that looks retro with two silver knobs....check them out..

and finally the last option for me is to install a new head unit in my center console's box....loose space for anything else, but at least I don't cut my dash and maintain the stock look.

Other than Sanyo is there ANYBODY else that still makes shaft mounted GOOD radios?...the Sanyos are just cheap.

Or do you have suggestions for mounting an amp discretely? Mind you I'd probably have to use Speaker Level Inputs, I doubt my current JVC receiver has RCA outs.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)