Motor feels sluggish after being put back together

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
I dont no if this is possible or makes sense but it feels like all of the power isnt there, and it seems like it revs up slower than it used to. Also since i threw my engine back together i i have alot of backpressure from the exhaust now(dont no if thats correct term for it) but it pops when i let off the gas. Only thing i can think of is maybe the timing is off, bc i havent had a timing light on it since i threw the dizzy back in, i didnt mark the position of the rotor, i just eyeballed it from a pic lol. Any ideas?? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

That popping sound is not back-pressure ... it is most likely one of two things.

1) You are running to rich and fuel is dropping onto your headers and igniting (this would generally be fairly loud).

2) I believe this one is probably more likely.. you have a de-acceleration tune.. meaning when you let off the gas your car runs lean and pops...

either way.. I would definetely check the timing.. too advanced can put that sucker on detonation road!

poneypower89 said:
That popping sound is not back-pressure ... it is most likely one of two things.

1) You are running to rich and fuel is dropping onto your headers and igniting (this would generally be fairly loud).

2) I believe this one is probably more likely.. you have a de-acceleration tune.. meaning when you let off the gas your car runs lean and pops...

either way.. I would definetely check the timing.. too advanced can put that sucker on detonation road!

im pretty sure its number 2, is it hurting the car in any way?...

If you are experiencing sluggishness during rev etc, I bet your timing is off. if you just dropped in the distributor from a pic this is definetly your problem. not enough timing and the motor wont rev. or possibly your have miss adjusted your valves if you have adjustables. or even worse on tooth of on the timing chain. not sure what all work you did on the motor but I bet its one of those things. also check the little things like are all the injectors plugged in and firing? sounds like either your timing is off or your a cylinder or more down. I had the same problem once and my fuel injector wasn't firing on the number 5 cylinder. same problem your experiencing, slow rev. good luck.