Engine Motor Mount Install

fredfifty

Nov 23, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hey guys, 92 5.0, the motor is out of the car. I just bought new prothane MMs. Would you recommend installing the MMs to the motor, then drop motor in, or mount MM to k-member, then drop motor onto MM? Thanks. Any other tips on dropping just the motor in (tranny still in car) are appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

. Disconnect the battery at the battery ground terminal, remove the fan & fan shroud. Take careful note of the motor mounts; there is a RH mount and a LH mount, and they look very much alike. Both motor mounts will need to have the large nuts that secure them to the frame removed. You will need to jack up the rear of the transmission as well to get the required clearance. The trans mount will have to be loosened, and you may have to remove the drive shaft to get the needed clearance.

Jack up the engine with a wood block under the oil pan and watch for things that bind or hoses/electrical wiring that may need to be disconnected. I put a couple of wood blocks between the headers and the frame to support the engine.

Yes, motor is on an engine stand currently. I will mount the MM to the block and drop it in. How will lining up the trans input shaft play out while dropping the motor onto the k member MM locations?

You could be in for a fight..or it'll slip right in. Make sure the clutch is aligned perfectly and you may get lucky. I just did mine and put the trans on the engine out of the car. Just make sure to drain all the trans fluid first.

Yes, motor is on an engine stand currently. I will mount the MM to the block and drop it in. How will lining up the trans input shaft play out while dropping the motor onto the k member MM locations?

I just dropped my motor in two months ago with the trans bolted to it and driveshaft still attached to the rear end.. was a bitch and if it wasn't for the other set of hands and load leveler attached to the hoist it wouldn't have went well at all. Just take your time. My situation was a little worse off as I'm using a 3550 which is a larger bulkier transmission so to ease the pain as much as possible I put the rear end of the car up on jack stands as high as i could go so it was easier to get the tail shaft into the trans tunnel.