motor mount n steerin column replacement, tips?

mhorn0817

Apr 27, 2006
gettin ready to replace motor mounts and steering column in my biddys 87 5.0 gt...just wondering if someone could give me a quick run down of the procedures and any tips,tricks or hints. thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

anybody? i did some searchin, supposily all i have to do is jack the motor up and swap out mounts...about 2 hours job........and for steering column just some bolts,trim pieces and connectors supposily...anybody?

The motor mounts are not too bad, except that access to them and the bolts is a pita. It may pay to do the mounts while the steering shaft is out. Obviously, you have to be able to jack the engine while you pull them. It may take a good half day if you have not done it before. I have not changed them with the engine in the car yet, always during engine swaps.

The steering column is to too hard either, except for access to stuff under the dash. Remove the bolt in the engine compartment that holds the intermediate shaft, or remove the pinch bolt at the rack, the boot at the firewall, the underdash mounting bolts, and the covers/wiring, and it lifts out from inside. It takes time to be carefull and unhook stuff so that you don't break things.