motor mounts..replacing

1992mustangLX

Jun 13, 2007
i need to replace the motor mounts on my mustang and can anyone ust give me a quick lesson on the best way to do it. Everything is off the motor and its just the block sitting there so i figured no is the time to do it while its easy access. Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, we just put my motor back in the car with new mounts and, judging by how everything gets connected if your enging is still in the car, you'll have to disconnect the mounts from the chassis, hoist the engine to remove the old mounts, attach new ones, and lower engine back down to bolt them in place. I know, very simplistic expaination, maybe someone else can give a better description. Be careful, though, it's a heavy object.

Wait, so is the engine out of the car or not? If the engine is out of the car, just bolt the new ones to the block loosely and line them up when the engine goes back in. If engine is still in the car you have to break loose the mount to block bolts and then undo the mount to frame bolts completely. Once those bolts are off you can hoist the engine if you have the ability or jack it up by the oil pan by placing long piece of wood between the pan and jack to distibute the weight across the pan evenly. Once it's jacked up just loosen the mount to block bolts the rest of the way and put the new ones in the reverse of the removal procedure.

Mark the mounts L & R when you take them out of the box. They are very similar and it would be easy to put the wrong mount on the wrong side if you dumped them out on the bench and didn't mark them first. Also watch out for the big nut that secures the mount to the K member. Some are US coarse thread and some are metric. Most new mounts don't come with nuts, so don't loose the nuts either.

Mark the mounts L & R when you take them out of the box. They are very similar and it would be easy to put the wrong mount on the wrong side if you dumped them out on the bench and didn't mark them first. Also watch out for the big nut that secures the mount to the K member. Some are US coarse thread and some are metric. Most new mounts don't come with nuts, so don't loose the nuts either.

Most excellent advice as usual.

the motor is still in the car but there is absolutley nothing attached to it. Thanks for the great advice on marking them, etc! :hail2: Are you sure ite safe to jack the motor up from the oil pan? Its just seems like it wouldnt be a good idea, but if its safe then great. Thanks for the help guys

the motor is still in the car but there is absolutley nothing attached to it. Thanks for the great advice on marking them, etc! :hail2: Are you sure ite safe to jack the motor up from the oil pan? Its just seems like it wouldnt be a good idea, but if its safe then great. Thanks for the help guys
Should be fine. I've done it using a flat piece of wood between the jack and the pan to distribute the force.

Jacking it up by the pan is absolutely fine especially since you've rmoved a lot of weght from the block. Just make sure you use the aforementioned piece of wood to distribute the force evenly along the pan