MPG Improvments needed!

94-302-vert

Aug 16, 2004
NE CT
How about list ways we know to increase the mileage on these cars... My car has been stuck at 19mpg since I bought it.

I would have thought that the exhaust, gears, lowering (mostly highway), oil separator (no oil in it yet ~100 miles), etc... something would have effected my MPG. Any thoughts besides slow down, put the top up, etc?

19mpg combined. Mostly highway.

My drive consists of ~15 miles of 50-60 mph country road, 1 mile of stop and go (maybe 3-4 lights, 45mph between them), 20 miles on the highway (70-120 mph average) then about 3-5 miles of 40 mph backroads. then reverse in the afternoon...

That's not too bad, I was getting around 17-18 before the heads and cam. That was half highway, and half in town driving. Since the heads and cam, I've driven 39 miles and burned nearly an entire tank! But my MAF is crap and I'm running pig rich, not to mention the massive fuel leak I had when I forgot to put the gasket on my new fuel pressure regulator, lol.

94-302-vert said:
It runs Rich too, I can smell it with the O/R pipe pretty bad soemtimes.

That smell's from the off road h-pipe as the unburned HCs are not being converted in the catalytic converters. When my brother ran an o\r h-pipe when he was stock except for gears and not running rich the exhaust smelled more strongly.

granted mines not a vert, but i get 20-21 beating on mine and 23-24 being easy on it, Ive never gotten under 20. my timings on 12(it got better before i turned it up, im going to be turning it down), i have 1 5/8 headers, or pipe, flows, kn, smog bypass and 180*, is mine above average or about right? BTW stock gears and 5 spd
Russell

oh and i was getting 20-21 no matter how i drove it until i cleaned my maf