Multiple restoration questions

2bfeared

Dec 7, 2009
Hey guys,

Hopefully this is the right area to post this, I am still new to the forums.

Anyways, I have some questions about paints and restoring plastics. I've got a 95 convertible from Flordia, and it looks like the sun has taken its toll on a few things.

1. The convertible top - In some spots, the black has faded to a greyish colour. The top is still in great shape. Is there a way to dye it back to a black again?

2. Some of the metal exterior parts have also faded (ie. the side mirrors and a black trim piece around the top of the trunk where the roof line meets the trunk). They are still in good shape, can these be easily painted? Any prep work?

3. The interior has a couple of small pieces of plastic that have also faded (I am mostly concerned with the area that outlines the radio). Can plastic be painted or dyed? I am concerned about it getting bumped and chipping off the paint.

4. The hood of the car...It was damaged by someone who scratched from profanities into the hood. It kind of really sucks, but hey. I thought about changing the hood, but I don't have the cash yet. In the meantime, the clearcoat has been sanded away to remove the damage. It looks like the black paint is still okay, but oxidized. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to the clearcoat? I am thinking about having a shop do it, but if I can save the extra cash then I would make the attempt.

Sorry for such a huge post, its easier to put everything into one than post four seperate ones. Any ideas, products, or techniques to aid me in this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Shawn

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys,

Hopefully this is the right area to post this, I am still new to the forums.

Anyways, I have some questions about paints and restoring plastics. I've got a 95 convertible from Flordia, and it looks like the sun has taken its toll on a few things.

1. The convertible top - In some spots, the black has faded to a greyish colour. The top is still in great shape. Is there a way to dye it back to a black again?

2. Some of the metal exterior parts have also faded (ie. the side mirrors and a black trim piece around the top of the trunk where the roof line meets the trunk). They are still in good shape, can these be easily painted? Any prep work?

3. The interior has a couple of small pieces of plastic that have also faded (I am mostly concerned with the area that outlines the radio). Can plastic be painted or dyed? I am concerned about it getting bumped and chipping off the paint.

4. The hood of the car...It was damaged by someone who scratched from profanities into the hood. It kind of really sucks, but hey. I thought about changing the hood, but I don't have the cash yet. In the meantime, the clearcoat has been sanded away to remove the damage. It looks like the black paint is still okay, but oxidized. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to the clearcoat? I am thinking about having a shop do it, but if I can save the extra cash then I would make the attempt.

Sorry for such a huge post, its easier to put everything into one than post four seperate ones. Any ideas, products, or techniques to aid me in this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Shawn

The top could def be re dyed. Just power wash it really good and get it cleaned up. I would use a vinyl dye and spray it then leave it dry and dont move the top down for a week so it dries and has time to soak in.

The mirrors can be sanded down and primed and then painted satin black.

The interior stuff can also be re dyed. Just clean it really well, wipe it with thinner, this softens the plastic and then spray the parts and let dry.

The hood would need to be sanded down and re painted to look right and last. A good reputable body shop would be able to do this task no problem.

Good advice above.

As far as the window trim, it can be removed, with the proper tools (available at Late Model Restoration) if its built like Fox body cars. Then it can be sanded, primed and painted. Personally, i like the BBQ pit black paints for black exterior components. Has a nice satin sheen to it :)