Mustang 01 v6 idiot surprise.

ThePonyBoy

Apr 27, 2022
Arizona
Hi yall ,
I'm new here. If yall don't mind helping a fellow out, just bought a 2001 mustang v6 but now I'm having some issues. When I test drive it I noticed that it was idling quite wierd on park but the dude I bought from said he had not driven it in 3 years. I checked the air filter and it seem quite dirty, it was caked with black dust. Of course I ended up purchasing it like a naive person. I have changed the oil, air filter and spark plugs as well. Some of the spark plugs had what seem like a little bit of oil or some kind of liquid residue. Now that car is idling normal but there is some kind of audible stuttering when i shift to D . Feels like the car might lose power but doesn't. Have yall ever had an issue like this.
Again thanks

• Sponsors (?)

When I bought it , it was on a quarter tank left, so I refilled it and put some fuel injector cleaner aswell.
I turned the car on today and I noticed the engine is vibrating /shaking quite noticeably but I don't hear any rod knock.
Two things come to mind:

Open the hood and inspect the entire engine bay for a broken line or vacuum hose. A can of starting fluid with the engine at idle can help track them down.
Go to walmart or amazon and purchase an OBD2 code reader.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Two things come to mind:

Open the hood and inspect the entire engine bay for a broken line or vacuum hose. A can of starting fluid with the engine at idle can help track them down.
Go to walmart or amazon and purchase an OBD2 code reader.
Sounds like water in the gas. Rough idle, uneven detonation in the cylinders. Either drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel, or drive the tank to nearly empty, add a couple gallons of premium, and repeat. Unleaded fuel with ethanol loves to suck up moisture (you said it had a quarter tank when you bought it... you'd be surprised how much water it can trap), so that would be my guess.

The black powder on the old air filter suggests that the car was running rich, so a couple doses of fuel system cleaner (I have had good luck with Techron) may also be in order.

Sounds like water in the gas. Rough idle, uneven detonation in the cylinders. Either drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel, or drive the tank to nearly empty, add a couple gallons of premium, and repeat. Unleaded fuel with ethanol loves to suck up moisture (you said it had a quarter tank when you bought it... you'd be surprised how much water it can trap), so that would be my guess.

The black powder on the old air filter suggests that the car was running rich, so a couple doses of fuel system cleaner (I have had good luck with Techron) may also be in order.
I will definitely try another system cleaner, also just ordered an obd scanner to check if the previous owner deleted any codes