Mustang 2002 Convertible - Brake Light Cruise Control Problem

Monica Castator

Sep 19, 2012
I am hoping for some help on this one. I just bought this mustang and truly love it BUT I find that the cruise control and brake lights don't work. I have read extensively on what to do to fix it and have eliminated the following but the problem remains:

1. fuses all fine under dash - hot on both sides and continuity test fine
2. replaced brake light switch - hot as expected on both sides
3. pulled tail light assemblies and checked all bulbs - all bulbs fine but no power to connectors when brake pedal pressed.

Running lights, signals, hazards all work fine.

It's a convertible so no 3rd brake light to check.

Some posts seem to point to the multifunction switch as a possible problem but others don't list the brake lights as related to that switch at all... really need to know if this COULD be the problem before I tear into the steering column.

Other post seem to think there is a relay under the hood that could be the problem... I can't find any specs on which relay could be responsible ... and I don't know how to check the relay so some help there would be great.

Any one have any ideas on how to proceed?

• Sponsors (?)

odd that this turns out to be the answer but all above problems were fixed by replacing wiring harness on passenger side rear tail light. never found a break in the wire but problem traced to it and replacing it solved light and cruise control issue.

Must have been a short.

One question though, you said, "It's a convertible so no 3rd brake light to check."

This just had me confused. You should have a brake light at the edge of the decklid.
You ARE correct.... it is tucked under the spoiler from a standing view and since none of them worked, I did not see it... I was thinking of it as being up on the rear window which of course the convertible would not have.