Engine Mustang GT Problems

Jarredpayne

Aug 6, 2019
Indiana
I recently bought a mildly wrecked 2002 mustang GT to use as a donor car for a 2004 V6. Both cars were 5 speed manual. The 2002 drove great before being swapped into the v6. But once the motor and all the necessary wiring was swapped it runs awful. Very choppy and bogged down. It also stays at around 2300 RPM’s when the clutch is pressed in and when it’s not it accelerates at a slow pace without me touching the gas pedal. I’ve already changed the IAC and the MAF sensor. It should be noted that this problem isn’t prevalent 100% of the time, just very frequently. Any ideas on what’s going wrong?

• Sponsors (?)

Is this your car?

Just wondering. HOW are you hoping for the forums to be able to help you? Are you hoping that someone else has done this exact same swap and ran across the the same issue? IE solve this problem as if it's a well known "pattern failure"?

Sappy saying for the day.

"There is no elevator to success. You have to take the steps!".

Let me see if I can give you another way to think about this. The car basically works after the swap. That means that most of the car's systems work. But clearly you don't know what's causing the problem. To me, that's where basic trouble shooting comes into play.

Given the hundred of thousands of parts in a typical car I don't see how anybody out in internet land can help you figure out which part is "causing" this problem without some information to help focus the trouble shooting. But let's give it a shot.

Have you checked the throttle return spring? Are BOTH springs in place such that the throttle returns to a closed position when released? Does the throttle operate smoothly without binding?

Have you checked to see if the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS) intake vacuum reference line is connected and leak free? Remove the vacuum line and inspect for raw gas.

What have you done to rule out excessive EGR flow?

Are there any intake vacuum leaks?

Are there any exhaust leaks? Especially between the motor and front O2 sensors?

Bear in mind that given the HUGE amount of work done, it seems to me that little can be ruled out ahead of time. It also seems to me that NOTHING can be taken at face value.

Also just wondering. What you thoughts would have been if I just copied and pasted the same reply from the other forums? Without adding any additional information?

Has anybody else in the forums been able to help you based upon the thread description?

Last edited: