Mustang making ticking noise

Occasionally, mine will make a ticking noise after a cold start (few days+). It goes away after a couple minutes of the engine running though...

When it first did it, I changed one of the pullies and it stopped. It started doing it again, and I tried another pulley.

So far, I've changed everything except the crank pulley and alternator (changed the tensioner last fall). I still notice it. It sounds like it's coming from the left/front of the engine, not the top (valve cover/head area).

I didn't notice it changing with throttle increase though. It usually went away after the engine warmed up a bit.

I'd check your pullies...

• Sponsors (?)

Not necessarily.

The last leak I had the only black mark I had was between the header flange and the gasket. I didn't see any black marks on the header until I removed it. The header is shiney too so it would have stood out more.

Riley
Posted via Mobile Device

Occasionally, mine will make a ticking noise after a cold start (few days+). It goes away after a couple minutes of the engine running though...

When it first did it, I changed one of the pullies and it stopped. It started doing it again, and I tried another pulley.

So far, I've changed everything except the crank pulley and alternator (changed the tensioner last fall). I still notice it. It sounds like it's coming from the left/front of the engine, not the top (valve cover/head area).

I didn't notice it changing with throttle increase though. It usually went away after the engine warmed up a bit.

I'd check your pullies...

I changed every pulley on the car and mine gets progressively worst as the car warms up.:shrug: