Mustang Mod Noob Needs Help (Tailights + Exaust)

Intwah

Sep 15, 2009
Hey Guys,

I just picked up my Mustang last sunday. 2005 Black on Red Leather Fully Loaded GT.

Ive been looking to tint my taillights and havent really found anything that looked that good, so im posting here. At first i wanted to buy those covers they sell on amercianmustle.com but the thought of having covers on my lights bug me and gets me thinking how well they really fit and how good they actually look. They probably move around when youre driving too. I visited over 5 tint shops in my city today and the one that said they could do my lights say that tinting them would look horrible and that the best solution is to spray them, which is permanent and irreversible. Before i do something that cannot be chagned, im just looking for other people's opinions on smoking their lights. What method did you use, are you happy with it?

Second, i was looking for a simple exaust system, nothing crazy. The few that i checked, Borla Stinger and this one from Bassini seemed to be the most popular among mustang drivers, but i wasnt too crazy about the sound. Im looking for something low with a nice "rumble", but of those exausts seem to be a little higher than i would like, maybe its just my lack of experience around American Cars.

Thanks alot for your feedback and help!

• Sponsors (?)

Hi there congrats on the car.

I have the steeda stingers and they sound awesome. They are borlas but with less fiberglass so they are much deeper.

Also i saw i think on american muscle pre cut tint film made for our taillights. Its the laminx type so it comes off

Hey Guys,

I just picked up my Mustang last sunday. 2005 Black on Red Leather Fully Loaded GT.

Ive been looking to tint my taillights and havent really found anything that looked that good, so im posting here. At first i wanted to buy those covers they sell on amercianmustle.com but the thought of having covers on my lights bug me and gets me thinking how well they really fit and how good they actually look. They probably move around when youre driving too. I visited over 5 tint shops in my city today and the one that said they could do my lights say that tinting them would look horrible and that the best solution is to spray them, which is permanent and irreversible. Before i do something that cannot be chagned, im just looking for other people's opinions on smoking their lights. What method did you use, are you happy with it?

Second, i was looking for a simple exaust system, nothing crazy. The few that i checked, Borla Stinger and this one from Bassini seemed to be the most popular among mustang drivers, but i wasnt too crazy about the sound. Im looking for something low with a nice "rumble", but of those exausts seem to be a little higher than i would like, maybe its just my lack of experience around American Cars.

Thanks alot for your feedback and help!

Posted via Mobile Device

I just got my tail lights tinted the other day. It is the film tint. Its not too dark and looks good IMO. I'll get some pics taken Tuesday hopefully after I get the car cleaned up again.

Stage 3 flowmaster are just a little louder than stock.
I kept my stock and went to Walmart and bought two of their chrome tips 3", had the muffler shop cut my old ones off and weld walmarts on. Cost 25.00 for the tips and 25.00 to weld them on.
I didn't like the small stock tips.

Attachments

• HPIM0295.JPG
    HPIM0295.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 137
I have the Borla Agressive stingers, they are a little louder than stock, a fairly deep rumble. If you are looking for something that is pretty loud to get attention...these would not be the answer IMO.

Add an H-pipe and then, THEN, you have something to be noticed.

I tinted ALL of my lights this last week. I will take pics today. I ordered a Bulk roll of tint film from Lamin-x for 150 bucks, it was 18"x15' I tinted EVERYTHING on my car and still have a TON of film. Each set of lights precut kit is like 60$ so just tinting 3 sets of my lights more than paid for the bulk roll I bought. I am cleaning the car today, I will take pics for you. It is a little tricky doing the tails with film cause of all the curves and edges, but a blow-dryer that has a hot setting will help tremendously.

I took a couple quick pics. I am very please with how they turned out. They look a bit darker in pics, You can still see a slight hint of red through the film and you can still see the chrome reflectors of the headlights some. At night the lights shine through perfectly, during the day you can see the brakes no problem as well.
dsc00884o.jpg

dsc00886g.jpg

At the place i work, 402 motoring, we've been spraytinting taillamps for years. If you do have them sprayed i suggest doing it at a real nice, licensed place with a spraybooth, not some backyard operation. legality varies per state, often it is a grey area, we have cars all across the country and haven't heard about people being hassled (windows you'll get tickets almost weekly, but no trouble with lights).
Whatever you do, and whoever you go with PLEASE don't spray them with the VHT spray cans, no offense to anyone here that may have them but i have NEVER seen those that don't look terrible. they may look good enough on a $500 93 dodge spirit, but not a $15,000 mustang.

I've seen film go both ways, some real nice film jobs and some real poor ones. If people have good reviews from the American muscle stuff that should work well for you

here's mine.....
6.jpg

4.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

i've got medium on the tails, and dark on the 3rd light and sidemarkers. made a world of difference on how my car looks. they're all sanded, shot with the tint, cleared, then buffed. with paint you could also paint parts of the lights to match (like the low parts between the lights) We paint large parts of charger lamps and it makes them fit the car much better
DSC_0493.jpg

I took a couple quick pics. I am very please with how they turned out. They look a bit darker in pics, You can still see a slight hint of red through the film and you can still see the chrome reflectors of the headlights some. At night the lights shine through perfectly, during the day you can see the brakes no problem as well.
dsc00884o.jpg

BC Canada = MAJOR heatscore

I painted my fog lights with the vht night shades a while back. If you know what you are doing it will turn out nice glossy black. I have friends that just real quick sprayed theirs and they are almost flat black,lol. Mine looked really nice, but it cut down on how bright the fog lights were at night. After driving in a rainstorm with them black I took laquer thinner and removed the vht paint. With only a couple coats I think the nightshade would work, but I had on 4 coats to where the lights were completely black. Looked awesome, but not such a good Idea. On tail lights 3 coats makes them look completely black, but you can see the light shine thru just fine. I would suggest it for tail lights and marker lights tho. just my 2 cents

Wow thanks so much for your posts and responses guys! Ive done some research and the rule in my province is no tinting at all, **** that getting them done anyways

Heres the deal, the guy who sold me the car has a buddy that has some used parts to sell, heres what hes got and what hes asking for:

JL2 Intake
Xcal SCT Tuner 91 Oct.
Boomtube

Asking price: $600 Canadian

If it didint include the tuner, id say no right away, but im a bit skeptic. Im not a huge fan of the "exaust", originally the dude told me it was an axle back but ive read and been told that its just a muffler delete.

What you guys think, could be nice to start off with, hows the pricing.

PS: need shortest possible antenna, 8inch looks too long, looking for a delete or something close

Thanks again for your help, looks like the Mustang community is one of the better communities to be a part of and sign up to! Much appreciated!

Regards

That's a pretty cool paint scheme there Infamousjim. Silver panel with a darker/black car.

thanks, the striping was actually done by the previous owner, who had a few posts here. (i just did alot to finish, pinstripe, new bumper, shaving spoiler, etc)

just a note for you on the antenna, how often do you listen to the radio? i hear shorty antennas get very bad reception. I have an extreme case but, My car has a short antenna hidden in the A-pillar (regular is shaved) and i very rarely ever get radio stations unless im within 10 miles of the stations.

I picked mine up for like 15$ shipped on ebay. I was like you and wanted it done but wasnt sure if I was going to like it and so I figured Id do cheap just to make sure I like it. And they turned out great and Im keeping them. I have had absolutely no problems they dont look cheap and everyone that see my car likes them. So especially if you wanna just try it to start off definately great way to. I didnt want the covers and painting them can be expensive and Ive seen some that dont look great painted. It was like a kit that came with both tailight tints and 3rd brake light. Pretty cool I think
. I also didnt want it to dark because stupid drivers dont pay attention HAHA
Again186.jpg

Again193.jpg

blaaah173-1.jpg