Mustang Wont Start

ZeroOneStangGT

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2002
Wheeling, WV
So I've turned in to one of those guys who leaves his mustang in the garage except for the warm nice chevy roasting days and of course race days.

in the 50's today so i decided to go out and get the stang running and drive it around a bit. Hadent been started in about 4 months, so i had to jump it.

It started pretty quickly, and only hesitated a little bit... Drove it a few miles down the road, no problems, parked it ar my girlfriends for about 15 minutes and let it idle while i went in. Came out, drove to the gas station about a mile away to air up the tires a bit, let it idle there for about 5 min. Got back in the car, tapped the gas, it chug'd and quit, and wont start again. Tried a tiny bit of starting fluid(dont like doing that) ran for a second and died again.

I cant hear the fuel pump coming on, and i seem to remember that i could hear it before.

I turned the key to the on position and pressed the valve on the fuel rail to see if any fuel came out... nothing... Im assuming all this means my fuel pump is bad... I checked the fuse as well.. all is good there....

Does anyone have anything else i can try, i believe i will have to remove the tank to replace the pump... If i do have to.. is there a better pump than stock... The car has 50,000 miles on it... 2001 GT. Could the diablo chip have anything to do with it... connection corroded or anything maybe?

Thanks.... GO STEELERS!

Ben:shrug: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

battery is fine

Nah, the battery is fine... I did have to jump it, but i also charged it.
Battery is ruled out.

I never got the owners manual, and the hayes manual sucks and doesnt have a fuse block diagram.

I think its down to the fuel pump or relay. Does anyone have a fuse diagram for under the hood (and under the dash)

Keep in mind that i was driving this car pulled in to a gas station to air up the tires, while it was idling, i pressed the gas to backup, it chugged and died. Could be the fuel filter, but i dont hear the pump, even if im am sitting under the tank.

Any advice or should i just pull the tank. Can i check the voltage at the pump without pulling the tank?

thanks,
ben

If you're looking for the fuel pump fuse maybe I can help.. Stand on the drivers side of the car facing your fuse box. When you open the cover it will be all the way on the left side number one fuse towards your engine.

This may sound dumb and may not work but put the gass pedal to the floor when your turning it over. Sometimes when my car doesn't want to start thats what works for me.......but then again if Its your fuel pump that wno't work.