My Fellow Warriors

• Sponsors (?)

I no longer serve in the Army, I did for 6 years right out of High school and my reasons were numerous.

I think I knew at a very young age that I would serve for at least serve for a period of time. I always enjoyed military movies, stories and comics ( SGT ROCK and Our Fighting Men) as a boy. I built military scale models, mainly armor some planes, and loved setting up mock battle fields on the pool table ( i would spend hours).

As I grew up I loved the ideals that the military of old represented. The discipline and comraderie (SP?) and the glory. I think I joined the Army about 40 years too late for those things.

Finally, when I was finished with High School I wasn't ready to go to college, but knew I needed a way to learn a skill and get out of my Dad's house and on my own so to speak. The army provided that opportunity.

I was mostly happy with my time and service. But being that I was in a strategic unit, I missed out on a lot of what I had envisioned the military experience would be. Being in that environment and being in during the time of transition to the more politically correct Army. It really wasn't the total experience that I had always wanted to have.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad I served and feel that I am better for the experience. I wouldn't change that for the world. I am also very grateful for all the men and women who continue to serve.

Additionally, with Memorial Day right around the corner, I would like to suggest we all take a moment and remeber those who have given their lives to protect our way of life. Go out to a parade, and thank some of the veterans you know or meet. :flag:

Like jes72 I too loved war movies, but while I had great admiration for those who served, I had no desire to join the millitary.

That all changed after my dad said I'd have to move out after I dropped all my courses at the community college the fall semester after my high school graduation.

I wasn't ready to go back to school, and honestly I just wanted to party and have a good time for a while. I didn't take me long to notice that my friends who were living the "life", on their own, weren't really living anything because they were always at work trying to pay for their car, rent, utility bills, and food. I thought about at 3.25/hr I'd be just like them always at work, or to tired from work to have any fun. So, I joined the army. I figured I could see the world and learn about myself and other people.

I served in a support company as a tank turret repairman, a glorified parts changer. I loved my job, and I learned a lot about people. I also learned how to work for different types of managers. Even the crappy ones helped me to improve my leadership skills. They were shining examples of ineffectiveness.

I Loved the guys I worked with, but I hated the Army itself. The Army regulations were only a slight pain at times, the silly political bullspit going on all the time, especially when I was stationed states side, was to much to deal with.

I served three years. It was a valuable experience that opened a lot of doors for me. Would I do it again? Well that's a good question.

Not A Warrior, But......

You know the drill.
Dad was a multi-multi pilot, grandfather was artillery, great-granddad was cav, great-great was a leg, etc..... I had dreams of flying Cobras (or at least Hueys - they may be old school now, but they were King Shnizzit back in the 70's); even though I logically knew that wasn't any more than a dream for a guy who became "four-eyed" at 8 yrs old.

But the "Modern All-Volunteer Army" didn't have any place for a High School kid with a blown-out knee; so Trish (and you, I guess) picked up the colors I had to drop. Well.

Spent a lot of time yesterday, running around with Post 19; support crew on 40/8's "Train". Ceremonial Team fired "salute" and blew Taps for Post 802 (Quechan Tribal Post), then Aux 19 dropped a wreath off the old bridge by the Territorial Prison - more guns and Taps. Then to Desert Lawn for that Memorial Service. Colors, guns and Taps, -Matt policed a lot of brass yesterday! At Desert Lawn, like a good SAL member, I "stood in" for Derek Caley (Goofball fell asleep face down while fishing on the Gila River -no shirt- Friday afternoon. Now he has blisters on his sunburn :rolleyes: ) by putting on a c**t-cap and placing the wreath for family members of the fallen warriors. Then on to the cemetary at the Foothills (name?) for more Taps, guns and more brass for Matt. Then the Moose Lodge, colors, guns, brass for Matty, Taps, etc. By the time we were done, the two buglers had their echo down perfectly. Back to the Post for BBQ and beer. Somewhere along the line, I offered my opinion on the train's oil leak which only occurs on long runs like from Yuma out to the Foothils; and now my job-jar has the addition of changing valve-cover gaskets on the 454 BBC stuffed in the middle of that contraption. :doh: You ever looked in the engine bay of that sucker? About 1/4" clearance between the engine and the sides of the body, once I twist myself into a pretzel to get a seat on top of the air cleaner housing :bang: :owned:
Oh well, just doin' my part I guess.

Anyways; back on topic. You had your reasons for joining up, just as Trish did. Looking back, you probably think they were pretty weak reasons in the grand scheme of things. 25 years from now, whatever you're doing, the reasons will be different, and a lot more important to you. And for those reasons, you have my pride and my respect. Doin' good, man.

Dawg

Oh yeah. The Ceremonial Team fires Garands, and I don't have anything that shoots a '30-06. Now what the H*** am I gonna do with all that brass Matt brought home? :shrug:

StangDreamin' said:
Oh yeah. The Ceremonial Team fires Garands, and I don't have anything that shoots a '30-06. Now what the H*** am I gonna do with all that brass Matt brought home? :shrug:

Around here, only the Honor Gaurd gets to play with M1's. They even had them at the 8th Army CoC. I watched some of the M16 ceremony practice while on post cleanup (still got lung probs from that grass and crap) and they sounded like blanks, cause they kept re-charging the 16's.

FYI: In the center of every flag give to the family of a fallen service member is a highly polished 5.56 NATO casing. NOT one of the rounds fired in the salute. Wanna know why? because the hi polish looks better than the powder burned casing just fired.

Also, us 44E's do a lot of polishing when attached to Artillery units. No less than on shell for each ceremony performed with a salute battery.

Now You Know.

:flag:

I am in the AFROTC so I am not as far along as the rest of you guys. But I am doing what I am doing because I want to protect the people of this nation in some way shape or form. I do not have a faith, and in my mind this is the only life I have to live, so I want it to have some sort of meaning so I can die with no regrets. The other really big reason is that it has been my dream since I could speak to be a fighter pilot, and then one day make it into space. Sounds like a cheesy kids dream, but it is my dream. I honor and respect all the veterans and soldiers we have lost throughout time. Most people don't appreciate what they have done. :flag:

My path started out in a similar fashion to most I knew in the military... I was lost and had no direction. I spent almost three years in college and then decided to take a chance on enlisting (meaning my college asked me to leave). It was with out a doubt the best decision I made in my entire life and that decision has made me who I am today.

I spent four years in Marine Corps; my first two years where in Security Forces and my last two where as a heavy machine gunner in a Weapons Company (talk about fun toys).

I've never had the honor of serving in combat (notice I said honor and not pleasure as I can't imagine it being a pleasant experience). However, I started boot camp at Parris Island during the first days of the air war in the Persian Gulf War (January of 1991). It was a sobering experience, and I cannot even begin to imagine what it is like now a days.

Those who serve our country are great men and women and I admire them all. What ever your reason for donning a military uniform; each Sailor, Soldier, Airman and Marine are the heart and soul of what makes our country great and one of a kind.

Scott

:flag:

NoKitten said:
Around here, only the Honor Gaurd gets to play with M1's. They even had them at the 8th Army CoC. I watched some of the M16 ceremony practice while on post cleanup (still got lung probs from that grass and crap) and they sounded like blanks, cause they kept re-charging the 16's.

For funeral detail blanks are used without blank adapters. Requires the M16 to be charged following every shot.

Why did I enlist? Hell I've raised my hand 3 times now. After 7 years in the Army, wearing stripes, Crossed Sabers, Airborne wings, 3 ARCOMS and many other awards and decorations, I wouldn't have it any other way. I actually have a hard time imagining NOT wearing the uniform, even after serving 2 years as an opposing forces soldier growing a beard and wearing civvies on JRTC rotations at Ft. Polk. Hopefully I'll fit right in in the 82nd. I wish every soldier had the privelege like I have of serving as a Combat soldier in a unit with as much history and traditions as the 1st BN (ABN) 509th Infantry.

I love my job. No, I'm not making a career out of the Army. I have my reasons for that. But, to quote a retired CSM who happened to be my EMT instructor, many American parents have given the greatest gift in the world, they have given their children to be American Soldiers, and it is the greatest responsibility in the world to ensure that they are properly trained to do their job and be able to come home.

No other job I can imagine brings that satisfaction and the personal pride I feel simply by putting the uniform on, be it ACU, BDU, or DCU, or even greens. Not to be too preachy, but that is how I feel. That's how every American Soldier, Sailor, Marine, and Airman should feel. Even if my G/F chides me for practically marching everywhere I go! lol.

Scouts Out! Airborne!

i signed my papers when i was a JR. in highschool for 6 years. my grandfather fought in WWII and i wanted to be like him. 20 days after i graduated i was gone. Did basic, AIT to be a blackhawk crewchief/door gunner, and then Airbornes school. I was only in one unit for the next 5.5years and that was the 82nd Airborne Division. I wouldnt change anything and sometimes I miss it very much, even after 2 combat tours and 1500 hours riding in the back of my aircraft. I can say I had the best job in the Army. I have seen and been all over America, Afghan, Iraq, the Carribean, and some other places. I made rank fast because I knew what I had to do (E-1 to E-6 in under 5 years) but at the end of my enlistment the politics started to really take there toll and my back and ankle were shot after 31 jumps. So i decided (It was hard) to get out and go to school. My friends said I was crazy since I was gonna get looked at for E-7 soon but I made my decision and I rarely change my mind. I miss it a lot and all my friends that i lived with during all those months across the pond.

Damn this thread, makes me miss it more!

LUCAFU1 said:
Damn this thread, makes me miss it more!

Heh, sorry man. I'll be back from Korea in July, just before the fourth. I'm on leave till the 19th, so if you want, we can meet up and discuss life in the service, or stangs, or stuff in general. Kinda limited to the bike tough, so no passengers for me. :D

And I live by, near, with, whatever Stangdreamin' so Tucson is close (hell, we got an Lt here from tucson.)

~Garrett

Just thought Id share on this thread, I just got back from my winging ceremony as a Naval Aviator. Im headed next to Virgina Beach to the Superhornet RAG. My reasons for joining are because I love flying, but mostly to surround myself with great Americans like those who have posted above. No matter if you serve 3 years or 30, you have played your part in the history of our nation. Im proud to serve with you. :nice:

SVTCobra306 said:
...even after serving 2 years as an opposing forces soldier growing a beard and wearing civvies on JRTC rotations at Ft. Polk.

Hey, that's where my kid is posted. One of the receptionists at her Vet (doggie-doctor) shop is married to one of the Artie guys (SFC Farley) that's been with JRTC for a few years. He's out in another month - retiring and moving back to outside the gate at Bragg. :flag:

I did, actually. I posted here after after posting there. Didn't see your post, onlu LUCAFU1's post. Sounds like he wasn't impressed with Ft Joke.

EDIT: Ahhhh, I see. You posted over there as well.

Okay, so are you gonna 'splain that avatar? :mad:
Can't fool me, it's highly unlikely that Trish would pose on the hood of a POS Cruiser; she remembers the one her mother rented for a time while a certain Pontiac PITA was in for yet again more service. Just for reference, the Pontiac was traded in for a Dodge - RAM not some steen-king piece o' chit Neon with an ersatz plastic '36 Ford look-alike body pasted on top :puke: