?my first engine mod?

• Sponsors (?)

I've always heard gears are the best way to go, i'm in the same boat you are, i have a stock stang, and and going to start the mods soon. I think i'm gonna go with an off-road h-pipe to bolt onto my stock headers and stock catback. That would be good for a few horses and make it sound a lot better.

The crossover/midpipe/H-pipe is the biggest restrictor in the exhaust system. Our headers aren't that bad and the catback, believe it or not, could be worse.

'Twas me, I'd put a manifold on it.

Joe

?About exhaust I live in california and i heard that i am very limited to what I can do to my exhaust. I heard i could not get the mid pipe or catback? what should i do if this is the case?
How difficult would it be to change the gears?
how about intake what can I do that is easy? is there anything other than the K&n performance kit?

raserr209 said:
?About exhaust I live in california and i heard that i am very limited to what I can do to my exhaust. I heard i could not get the mid pipe or catback? what should i do if this is the case?
How difficult would it be to change the gears?
how about intake what can I do that is easy? is there anything other than the K&n performance kit?

You should be fine on the mid-pipe as long as you run one with catalytic converters that have carb #'s on them. Maybe someone could chime in that lives in california?

I'm thinking about purchasing 3.73's as well. However, I'd like to install them by myself and with my Dad's help.

How tough are they to install? He's good with cars and motorcycles, does pretty much all of his own work, but doesnt do Mustangs.

i've been meaning to say how much i regret doin the mods i've done so far.at this point,they're useless. my first mod should have been a complete exhaust upgrade. if you're an aode, get the stall, like i should have and get the gears(4.10s if aode). trust me with these 3 things your car will become a monster in your eyes and will make a huge difference.

Heres how I would spend my first $500. First, $15 for a haynes/chilton manual. I tried to get away with that for the first year I had my car, it much easier flipping through a book then waiting a few hours for someone to respond to you on stangnet.2.) Radar detector($50-$100 depending on what you want). 3.) Off road midpipe,$149-$200 makes the car sound good and it adds a fair amount of power. If you have emission testing swap out the stocker whenever it needs to be smogged. $15, homemade CAI ($20 with paint), Looks good and adds power. Underdrive pulleys$90- $130, good for .2 at least in the 1/4 mile. Then go to home depot and buy some sand paper and other polishing tools. Give yourself a weekend and start polishing random things under the hood. Cheap mod that will make everyone go "Ooooohh Ahhhhh". Bling factor jumps to 8 when you got polished parts. ANd finally with the remaining $95 I would do somemore random **** that will make your car seem much nicer then it is. Like white face gauges and fix all the little things wrong with your car, ie broken a/c vents n stuff like that.

:cool: this has really helped me out especially the first $500 and how to spend it this was tight. This is what I think i am gonna do and that idea of swapping out the midpipe was a good idea :banana: I have a question though about
$15, homemade CAI ($20 with paint), Looks good and adds power
what is this?

1hot5.0 said:
You should be fine on the mid-pipe as long as you run one with catalytic converters that have carb #'s on them. Maybe someone could chime in that lives in california?

I just bought my '95 Gt 2 months ago. I live in california, and I've been told that the car will not pass the visual inspection with an aftermarket cat system unless it appears stock and the cats are all in the stock configuration. In the stock configuration, there are four cats and most aftermarket cat systems have only two. It probally also depends on how picky the person doing the inspection is. I'm also looking into getting an aftermarket X-pipe, but I think that it'll be a lot eaiser (and cheaper) just to put in an off road X pipe and swap it w/ the stock one every other year when it has to go in for an inspection.

I got my car bone stock for a really good deal ($4K w/ 93K miles) and all I have put in it so far are a cat-back system, MAC cold air intake, MAC underdrive pulleys, a new SPEC clutch, and new headlights. next on the list are: 17" wheels and tires, 3.73 gears, o/r X-pipe, and some BBK headers. I've heard the chipping the car can give a lot of gains, but what does that really do on an n/a car?

flyboy_323 said:
I just bought my '95 Gt 2 months ago. I live in california, and I've been told that the car will not pass the visual inspection with an aftermarket cat system unless it appears stock and the cats are all in the stock configuration. In the stock configuration, there are four cats and most aftermarket cat systems have only two. It probally also depends on how picky the person doing the inspection is. I'm also looking into getting an aftermarket X-pipe, but I think that it'll be a lot eaiser (and cheaper) just to put in an off road X pipe and swap it w/ the stock one every other year when it has to go in for an inspection.

I got my car bone stock for a really good deal ($4K w/ 93K miles) and all I have put in it so far are a cat-back system, MAC cold air intake, MAC underdrive pulleys, a new SPEC clutch, and new headlights. next on the list are: 17" wheels and tires, 3.73 gears, o/r X-pipe, and some BBK headers. I've heard the chipping the car can give a lot of gains, but what does that really do on an n/a car?
Stock mid-pipes only have 2 the 96 and up have 4. A chip does 0 for a stock car and is a waste of $$(while stock).

raserr209 said:
:cool: this has really helped me out especially the first $500 and how to spend it this was tight. This is what I think i am gonna do and that idea of swapping out the midpipe was a good idea :banana: I have a question though about what is this?
A CAI= Cold Air Intake kit. Which don't do much as far as performence goes most just make there own for about $20.

I would do the gears before anything else cause they give the best gain for the buck spent.

If your car is a dd you may not want to go with a combo that will give you drivability woes.

With a good set of heads and the supporting parts they need you can get close to 300 rwhp and keep the stock cam to ensure no pcm nightmares.

Later
Grady