My First Fox Body Mustang

Jul 23, 2016
Hello all. I have been collecting and restoring 67-73 mustangs for years and just recently made the leap to the 80s Mustangs and I am enjoying my 83 convertible so far. Just a few questions! First regarding the exterior convertible well moldings (hockey sticks and the straight moldings that are right where the trunk hinges are). Do they normally have screws for installation or clips? My L/R moldings have screws in them. AND about the metal exterior moldings right under the quarter windows: how do you access the underside bolt that I see on the end right at the door opening? The molding on that end is popped up and I'm assuming a nut needs to hold that end down? I was thinking maybe I could take off that rubber cover at the top of the inside of the door opening to see that bolt, but that rubber cover seems to have rivets holding it to the body! Any advice would be appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome brother!

I have an '83 as well, but it's a t-top, not a convertible. So I won't be of much help.

Someone in the tech section will be of help to you. You might add a brief description of your issue in the title.

Once you have this issue resolved, post lots of pictures in the general talk section.

What are your plans for your mustang?

Welcome brother!

I have an '83 as well, but it's a t-top, not a convertible. So I won't be of much help.

Someone in the tech section will be of help to you. You might add a brief description of your issue in the title.

Once you have this issue resolved, post lots of pictures in the general talk section.

What are your plans for your mustang?
Just fiddling around with it now! It needs some work and I am enjoying it so far. I am a purist, so I like that it has not been modified much, just aftermarket door speakers and other little things. Thanks for responding!

Reactions: 1 user
Ha, that's one of the reasons I picked this style Mustang. Don't really dig the gray cluster bezel or what looks like a pad on the passenger dash panel.
Yeah, but hell, I really like all that crap.

I've been working on my '86 GT for quite some time and came across my '83 t-top notch by pure stupid luck.

I'm thinking to modify mine without doing something that can't be undone.(Unlike my '86).

So you got the first year of the return of convertibles. Post some pictures for us brother. What's the color of your mustang?

Yes, there are small bolts that hold the hockey stick moldings in place One you need to access with the rear inner panel off that is located under the 1/4 window . The others are going to be on the inner side of the trim normally hidden under dum dum so they dont tear the top. You wll need to hae the top down so there is slack in the top and you can get access the small bolts. You will need to use a combination of small wrenches and a stubby 1/4 socket. I can't remember the bolt size but they are liike 5/16 or 1/4..You will also need to loosen up the rear trim piece that goes across the trunk so the hockey stick can be removed/installed. Be careful as the plastic pieces the bolts screw into are very easy to break. Make sure and cover the boltheads with dum dum when replacing them or you will tear your top.

Thank you sir. How about the small 1/4 window moldings? The edge right at the door jam is up and I see a little bolt shaft under the molding. How do I get to that? When looking at the back edge of the actual door jam there is a rubber cover at the very top.I was thinking I could take that rubber cover off and get to that bolt with a nut to tighten that trim down but it looks to have rivets holding it on. I know working with 67-73 cars they just had screws on a similar rubber part. Thanks.

you can either try to access it by moving the rubber seal at the front portion that goes down and protects the inner panel when the door is closed, or it is easier to remove the inner seat panel by removing the rear upper and lower seat, then the screws that hold the panel in. i just did this a few months ago when I redid my interior but already had my inner panels out.

What Mike said....
There is also a screw holding the hockey stick top of door jam, those nuts and bolts are tiny. And may be rusted so take your time, You can get replacement pieces if you need, SEM trim paint will make them look new again, I replaced the hockey sticks but kept the orginal piece that runs across the rear

How about this one: I have the Light Group but my ashtray light has been snipped but the actual light assy. is still attached to the underside of the console ashtray/lighter panel. Where would this wiring come from? Is it included in the 3 looms that go to the console?

What Mike said....
There is also a screw holding the hockey stick top of door jam, those nuts and bolts are tiny. And may be rusted so take your time, You can get replacement pieces if you need, SEM trim paint will make them look new again, I replaced the hockey sticks but kept the orginal piece that runs across the rear

Yep, forgot about that one screw...

Best advice is to be very gentle with the new piece and do not overtighten the bolts or you will crack the trim piece. and they aint cheap at $100.

With my Vert I found it easier to access the trim bolts with the rear portion of the top loosened... There are a bunch of 1/2 inch nuts that run around the area behind the seat. The nuts have spacers on them behind the metal pieces the top is stapled to. Take care not to rip the top or loose track of the spacer washers. You will have to unhook the front latches to relieve pressure ( I used a cardboard box to stick between windshield frame and top frame)

Once nuts are removed the rear bottom of the frame should dislodge and fold inward towards the back seat. It sounds complicated, but really isn't. That will give you enough space to get a small ratchet on the trim and hinge nuts.

The but on the hockey pucks are a PITA. For those I removed my quarter windows....a real PITA.

Last edited:
With my Vert I found it easier to access the trim bolts with the rear portion of the top loosened... There are a bunch of 1/2 inch nuts that run around the area behind the seat. The nuts have spacers on them behind the metal pieces the top is stapled to. Take care not to rip the top or loose track of the spacer washers. You will have to unhook the front latches to relieve pressure ( I used a cardboard box to stick between windshield frame and top frame)

Once nuts are removed the rear bottom of the frame should dislodge and fold inward towards the back seat. It sounds complicated, but really isn't. That will give you enough space to get a small ratchet on the trim and hinge nuts.

The but on the hockey pucks are a PITA. For those I removed my quarter windows....a real PITA.

Wait until he needs to replace the cracked bushing that holds the 1/4 window rod in place which is all the way on the bottom. Another piece of sunshine I'm glad I had to do ONCE and replaced with the LMRS alumnum ones.

Reactions: 1 user