my new 92 2.3 runs terrible

red390gt

Nov 15, 2004
CT
my new 92 2.3 runs terrible and needs to convertible top

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the 2.3 crowd and I hope I am posting in the correct area (sorry if I'm not). This past weekend I bought a 92 Mustang LX convertible with 60,000 miles, body is very good but needs a good cleaning and a new top. The seller was asking $400 so I bought it (without stopping and thinking about it). I'll snap a pic later if anyone is interested (then you can tell me if I paid too much). One of my neighbors has a 88 T-bird turbo-coupe sitting in his driveway that he has had forsale forever (it has some body damage). A future project for me may be buying that Tbird and swapping in the turbo engine into my new vert.

On to my questions.
#1- It runs terrible, :damnit: smoothes out a bit when I rev it in park, but when I try and drive it it feels like its running on two cyliders. I changed the plugs and I noticed the set on the driver side were all black as if they are not firing. I checked the fuel system and it's ok. If I had to guess it's either a coil pack or the plug wires. But since I am new to the 2.3's I thought I would run this by the experts to see what the general opinion is. :shrug:
#2-How hard is it to replace the convertible top? I am very handy and have done several restorations on earlier Mustangs, but I have never tried to change a convertible top. I was told it could cost $700-$1000 to have a new top installed by a proffesional shop. I can't see spending that kind of money on a car that I only paid $400 for. I can get a new top from one of the many suppliers for around $200. I just don't know what the amount of effort is to put the top on and do I need and special tools (like a power staple gun for example)..

Thanks

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Hello again

Welcome to Stangnet! Still vote for the coil packs. I had a similar prob on my 91 vert. I found a bad coil pack and a vacuum leak. Coil pack I got from a junkyard ($10 for 2 off a Ranger) and replaced the vacuum hose along the firewall. Sounds like you may have bought a car that has sat for a while. Running a couple of tanks of gas with injector cleaner helped mine a lot. My 91 sat for a year due to running poorly before I got it. I was going to put a turbo motor in mine too (86 5 speed), but I did the 5 speed swap first because I had no OD. I really like it as is, but I am an old fogie and like to just cruise.
Putting on a top is really not that hard compared to my 69 vert. There is a video available that is pure gold. Electric staple gun was my GOOD friend.
The local shop uses an air powered gun that is super but expensive.
After I did the first one (3 days of slow work) I was able to do my second in about 5 hours. My 69 took me a week, and I am mechanically inclined myself.
Having a second pair of hands and eyes is of great help too.
Have fun and lots of luck!
Bruce (East Texas)

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for you help with this issue. I an going to take a ride to the local bone yard this weekend a grab a few coil packs.

I think I'll try replacing the top myself now that I have a feel for what it takes. Where would I buy the video tape that shows how to replace the top?