My New-to-me 1989 GT (Tips, suggestions, advice all welcome)

So, I think it was a year ago that I posted a thread asking how to make my 93 Auto 4 cylinder faster. I appreciate everyone who shared things with me, I also apologize to those who I never got around to replying back to. I forgot about the thread for a while lol, I was also overwhelmed with life things. Anyway, I purchased my 1989 GT 2 days ago, I had been wanting this car for a long time now. I purchased this car from a older gentleman's son who was getting rid of it since he has a son and recently got lost his job. He told me that he was going to convert this into a drag car. It runs and drives, its very loud. It needs a new clutch, as far as i know, the car runs strong other than that. Now, I do not know how to drive a manual, but I will be learning soon. the Interior is pretty clean, some pieces aren't placed in the car. Allot of the interior pieces are in the trunk, they need to be cleaned and repainted. The car sits on Cobra wheels (I'm unsure if they are original or not). As you can probably tell, I'm still fairly new to the Foxbody community. This is my first V8 car, so I'm excited to get working on it. I am going to pick up a new lock set for the doors and hatch since the previous owner didn't give me a key to the doors. I then will be finishing the kill switch that the previous owner was in the process of making. My goal is to make this car a reliable daily that I can have fun with. I want to take my time on this one, so it doesn't end up being just another beater mustang. I'm no mechanic, so I will be learning on this car, so any advice is surely welcome. Any suggestions on mods? (I'm on a budget as of right now) I want to eventually gut the interior and redo it and add some insulation. I also want to do a simple wire tuck soon, I've been watching videos on YouTube on how to do these things. Id like to do these things myself since I'm on a budget and also, I'm very particular about certain things lol. Anyway, thank you for reading , I will be checking this thread often!

Attachments

• 89 GT.jpg
    89 GT.jpg
    823.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 89 GT engine bay.jpg
    89 GT engine bay.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 89 GT rear.jpg
    89 GT rear.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 89 GT inside.jpg
    89 GT inside.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Cobra rims.jpg
    Cobra rims.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I would start by getting a factory airbox off eBay and ditching that cone intake.

The rear wheels look like they stick out a little to me. I wonder what axles the car has? The rims look like reproduction cobras.

Look clean though. Will be a fun project.

Welcome

Reactions: 1 user
I would start by getting a factory airbox off eBay and ditching that cone intake.

The rear wheels look like they stick out a little to me. I wonder what axles the car has? The rims look like reproduction cobras.

Look clean though. Will be a fun project.

Welcome
Okay great! Thank you, I will keep that in mind. I noticed that the rear wheels seemed to poke out too. Ill have a buddy of mine check it out.

Congratulations on the v8 !!!

I second the tip to remove that air filter and get one that goes in the fender or the OEM style.

Those are aftermarket cobra R wheels. I had them on an old mustang of mine in around 2006.

The advise I'd give is to change all the fluids and make notes of all the stuff that looks suspicious under the car. The transmission and rear end fluid can tell a lot of info when you change them. Always take a sample in a cup or something so you can look at it in the light. If it looks like a pearl bowling ball you've got issues that need addressing.

If I buy an old car fluid changes are always first. Gives me time to take notes of leaks and fluid conditions.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on the v8 !!!

I second the tip to remove that air filter and get one that goes in the fender or the OEM style.

Those are aftermarket cobra R wheels. I had them on an old mustang of mine in around 2006.

The advise I'd give is to change all the fluids and make notes of all the stuff that looks suspicious under the car. The transmission and rear end fluid can tell a lot of info when you change them. Always take a sample in a cup or something so you can look at it in the light. If it looks like a pearl bowling ball you've got issues that need addressing.

If I buy an old car fluid changes are always first. Gives me time to take notes of leaks and fluid conditions.
Thank you so much! I will definitely get on that asap.

Good looking car! I’d throw a clutch in it and drive it! That should give you a good idea what it needs next.

I’d start by changing the fluids as @90sickfox recommended and then do a tube up. I’d check for codes and probably vacuum leaks as well. The goal is to get the car in hood running order then start modding. The first budget mods for me would be exhaust and gears (if it doesn’t have that done already).

Good looking car! I’d throw a clutch in it and drive it! That should give you a good idea what it needs next.

I’d start by changing the fluids as @90sickfox recommended and then do a tube up. I’d check for codes and probably vacuum leaks as well. The goal is to get the car in hood running order then start modding. The first budget mods for me would be exhaust and gears (if it doesn’t have that done already).
Thank you! I’m definitely working on getting the clutch fixed soon. Thanks!

Nice looking start to a fun project. Aside from getting the filter into the fender well, I’d get rid of that little filter on the oil fill neck, and get the proper hose going back up to the throttle body.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Nice looking start to a fun project. Aside from getting the filter into the fender well, I’d get rid of that little filter on the oil fill neck, and get the proper hose going back up to the throttle body.
Thanks! I've gotten the same advice from others about that oil fill neck filter, if you don't mind me asking. What's wrong with it? I just want to be more knowledgeable about my car.

Having a breather there would pull unmetered air into the system. You want to hook it up to the port off the throttle body so it pulls air after the MAF (that’s been metered). Doing it the way you have it is technically a vacuum leak.

Reactions: 1 users
So, I think it was a year ago that I posted a thread asking how to make my 93 Auto 4 cylinder faster. I appreciate everyone who shared things with me, I also apologize to those who I never got around to replying back to. I forgot about the thread for a while lol, I was also overwhelmed with life things. Anyway, I purchased my 1989 GT 2 days ago, I had been wanting this car for a long time now. I purchased this car from a older gentleman's son who was getting rid of it since he has a son and recently got lost his job. He told me that he was going to convert this into a drag car. It runs and drives, its very loud. It needs a new clutch, as far as i know, the car runs strong other than that. Now, I do not know how to drive a manual, but I will be learning soon. the Interior is pretty clean, some pieces aren't placed in the car. Allot of the interior pieces are in the trunk, they need to be cleaned and repainted. The car sits on Cobra wheels (I'm unsure if they are original or not). As you can probably tell, I'm still fairly new to the Foxbody community. This is my first V8 car, so I'm excited to get working on it. I am going to pick up a new lock set for the doors and hatch since the previous owner didn't give me a key to the doors. I then will be finishing the kill switch that the previous owner was in the process of making. My goal is to make this car a reliable daily that I can have fun with. I want to take my time on this one, so it doesn't end up being just another beater mustang. I'm no mechanic, so I will be learning on this car, so any advice is surely welcome. Any suggestions on mods? (I'm on a budget as of right now) I want to eventually gut the interior and redo it and add some insulation. I also want to do a simple wire tuck soon, I've been watching videos on YouTube on how to do these things. Id like to do these things myself since I'm on a budget and also, I'm very particular about certain things lol. Anyway, thank you for reading , I will be checking this thread often!
I'm also a first timer and man have I learned! Here is my project a 1991 Mustang 5.0 convertible.

For starters, I've learned that LMR is the place to go. They are a lot cheaper than American Muscle, and CJpony. I've even purchased parts from eBay. Converting her from 4 lug to 5 lug. I'm going to keep the engine stock because I live in Kalifornia and don't want to deal with the emission BS!!! But After I'm done I will be selling it. Hope to complete it in 3 years. Car has no rust and everything still original. I will be changing everything inside black and black top. Car has 91k originla miles on it and starts up like a champ!

Good luck as you and I travel on this Foxbody road!

Attachments

• my Project.jpg
    my Project.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 86
That's awesome man! Any new updates? Mine has been stuck at a shop for 2 months smh.
I'm also a first timer and man have I learned! Here is my project a 1991 Mustang 5.0 convertible.

For starters, I've learned that LMR is the place to go. They are a lot cheaper than American Muscle, and CJpony. I've even purchased parts from eBay. Converting her from 4 lug to 5 lug. I'm going to keep the engine stock because I live in Kalifornia and don't want to deal with the emission BS!!! But After I'm done I will be selling it. Hope to complete it in 3 years. Car has no rust and everything still original. I will be changing everything inside black and black top. Car has 91k originla miles on it and starts up like a champ!

Good luck as you and I travel on this Foxbody road!