n00b question...how do i remove my headlights

mgcook

Jan 15, 2007
my cobra came with a set of ebay projector headlights (not forsale BTW) so i bought some cobra ones...i'm completely lost trying to figure this out...

i searched and came up short...

any help is appreciated...

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

All I know is when I put my new clear headlights on, I ended up ripping my stock ones off with brute force. The little plates on the back side screw on and off, but they are a b*tch to work with, so I used needle nose pliers to break the damn things off and pulled hard after unplugging the connector. Then my new ones just popped in. You have to take the corners off, which is one nut on the back side of the corner light, and then they just pop out as well. Sorry, Im not very specific, but I didnt really think about it real hard cause it was 30 degrees outside here in Iowa when I was doing mine!

Get an 11 or 12 MM wrench and put the box end over the black piece on the back of the header panel. Then get something like the handle from a hammer and hit the wrench so it pushes the black piece through the header panel. Then you will have to cut the wires coming from it because the halo and the little light on the inside are wired to the marker lights.

i just went through the same deal you did i have gotten new headlight and though hmm how hard could it be it took me like 40 mins till i found out something that worked well then maybe about 10 mins after i got a system lol....

first remove the corners i found it easier to get the black clip out with the corner lights out...after you remove the metal clip one per headlight there are two black knobs sticking through these are your adjusters.....the inside ones closest to the pony emblem are the easiest to get out start with them....

take your hand the best you can and pull the headlight foward like you want to remove it with your other hand use needlenose pliers to squeeze the two tabs together i found it best to use needlenose pliers that have the angled head once you can see the two tabs are closed and slightly started through the hole you can take the needle nose off remember to keep pressure on the light by pulling it slightly and then i positioned the needlenose so the tip was on the back of the adjuster and pushed using the radiator support as leverage to pop the adjuster out then work on the outside one its easier since you can auctually get a good grip on it..i know it sounds hard but once you get under the hood you will understand its easy...oh remove the plasitic radiator cover too lol i forgot to mention that

a trick too this also is to not squeeze the tabs with the needlenose as close to the opening get them back as far as you can but still being able to squeeze then downthat way you dont have to open the needlenose up to try and get them through the hole

The wrench trick works ALOT better. It pushes the tabs down and is easy as pie. Once I had it properly figured out I could take both of my ****ty projectors out in like 10 seconds.

so the box end wrench is small enough that it closes the tabs and then gets tight so you can tap it through the hole huh....where the hell were you when i posted in the how to forum when i was tryin to get my headlights out lol i really could have used a idea and got nothing from no one lol oh well i will try your trick when i pay cash for my new tinted headlights :D

Wow, that wrench trick sounds like a good idea. After I couldnt get the tabs all down at once with my needle nose, I ripped the tabs off and just yanked it through the hole. My new headlights came with new knobs with the tabs, so I knew I didnt need them anyway.

....yea my tabs were straight up and down so it was such a pain to get needle nose on them...i got some 2 month old head lights and needed to use my adjusters because they were destroyed by whoever removed them from the car that got trashed....lol i was putting the last adjuster in my new headlights and i was tapping the slider piece to get it to sit in the slot with a hammer and i looked and was like one more tap should do it and as i hit it one last time i kinda missed on the down stroke and hit the plastic piece and broke the ear off :mad: