• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

N2o

  • Thread starter Thread starter pete_05_gt
  • Start date Start date May 9, 2015

pete_05_gt

Member
Feb 23, 2014
48
2
9
May 9, 2015
#1
  • May 9, 2015
  • #1
Hey guys couple of quick questions. I got a nitrous outlet wet kit adjustable in 50-100-150 hp. My car is all stock except for MSD coil, cap and rotor. K&N drop in and a full exhaust. Just want to have some fun while stroker is being built. I just want to know if there is any do's or don'ts with nitrous. I keep hearing about puddling in the intake manifold. I will be using a window switch and other safety features. This is my first go round with N2O. Any advice will be appreciated. Does anyone know the best plug for NOS? Also my car is a 90 GT so I have forged pistons. Thanks guys.
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
May 9, 2015
#2
  • May 9, 2015
  • #2
You don't have forged pistons.

Off the top of my head..............

Start with a 50 pill. Go at least one step colder in Motorcraft plugs= 24's and read the plugs after you spray the first few times. Pull your timing back 2 degrees to 8 or get a timing control knob for your MSD that you can dial the timing back.. Do not hit the button in 1st gear. Make sure you purge the line everytime before spraying. If you hear any pinging back off the throttle. Do NOT spray with the motor off. Make sure the bottle has adequate pressure. Make sure the nitrous and fuel jets are spraying towards the motor. Make sure the WOT switch works. Do not move up in pills until you are comfortable with the 50. On a stock motor I would not go past 100 hp. Use 93 or the highest octane you can find.

I'm sure some others will add theiir tips.
 

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
4,674
2,343
194
Illinois
May 9, 2015
#3
  • May 9, 2015
  • #3
I have no expierience with that particular kit but have run NOS & Zex systems. Is that a wet shot system or dry kit? Is it a plate system between the intakes or a dual nozzle spray system before the throttle body? Nozzle systems can let to a puddling problem. What fuel pump are you running? The stock one needs to be upgraded to at least a 190lph and I prefer a 255. If running the 150 jets drop 2 heat ranges on your plugs. Make sure you run at least 93 octane fuel. NO 87 octane! Make sure you don't run up to the rev limiter because you're asking for a possible nitrous explosion. If stock cam etc shift around 52-5500. As far as timing goes I've run 12* on a 100 shot but I recommend keeping it at 10*(factory setting). With a 150 shot I'd run 10* and possibly take out 1-2* to be save.
 

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
4,674
2,343
194
Illinois
May 9, 2015
#4
  • May 9, 2015
  • #4
Also I eventually ran up to a 175 shot on a factory motor. But not recommended. Factory block can take a 150 hit without a problem if you keep the tune correct. Always error on the rich side with your fuel jets.
 

pete_05_gt

Member
Feb 23, 2014
48
2
9
May 10, 2015
#5
  • May 10, 2015
  • #5
89 and 90 GT's came with forged pistons, they switched to hyper's in 91. The system is wet nozzle system. I will for sure start with the 50 hp jet and try to dial it in first before going up. Thank you for the plug recommendation. Will not activating the system until 3500-4000 rpm's and shutting it off at 5200-5500 rpm's help prevent the puddling?
 

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
4,674
2,343
194
Illinois
May 10, 2015
#6
  • May 10, 2015
  • #6
A5literMan said:
Also I eventually ran up to a 175 shot on a factory motor. But not recommended. Factory block can take a 150 hit without a problem if you keep the tune correct.
Click to expand...
pete_05_gt said:
89 and 90 GT's came with forged pistons, they switched to hyper's in 91. The system is wet nozzle system. I will for sure start with the 50 hp jet and try to dial it in first before going up. Thank you for the plug recommendation. Will not activating the system until 3500-4000 rpm's and shutting it off at 5200-5500 rpm's help prevent the puddling?
Click to expand...
set your window switch to 56-5800 rpm and shift at the 52-5500 range. As long as their is a safe zone before the stock 6200 rev limiter you'll be fine. If the revlimiter goes off while still flowing nitrous you can have a improper ignition event that can destroy Pistons/plugs/etc. Keep the nitrous on through your powerband but keep it safely under that point. The problem with puddling usually only happens when you use a lot of juice. Running the fuel/nitrous mixture through an intake that is only designed to move air is the problem. Especially on the dog leg intake runners. I'm a fan of the dry kits that just use the injecters to supply the fuel. But that's not what we are talking about. Lol. Have the kit activate at wot with the switch range from 3-5800 would/should be save. I assume that system has instructions on jetting? 50 hp shot will hardly be noticeable FYI. Different story when you go up to 100+

What's the rest of your cars condition? Suspension/tires/etc etc. With the instant on/off nature of these systems I don't recommend using it on the street especially with a non drag tire. Like every poweradder the tune is important for safety and performance.
 

pete_05_gt

Member
Feb 23, 2014
48
2
9
May 10, 2015
#7
  • May 10, 2015
  • #7
Thank you A5liter. The car is all stock with the noted mods. Suspension is the next thing going in , all UPR products thank you Sharad. Like I said I just want to be able to have alittle fun while the race motor is being built and who knows after this maybe I'll become a nitrous guy instead of going SC. I just want to do it safely as I would like to keep the stock motor intact lol. By the way you make me want to go straight to the 100 jet lmao
 
Reactions: A5literMan

A5literMan

At least it is lumpy...
5 Year Member
Jul 30, 2011
4,674
2,343
194
Illinois
May 10, 2015
#8
  • May 10, 2015
  • #8
pete_05_gt said:
Thank you A5liter. The car is all stock with the noted mods. Suspension is the next thing going in , all UPR products thank you Sharad. Like I said I just want to be able to have alittle fun while the race motor is being built and who knows after this maybe I'll become a nitrous guy instead of going SC. I just want to do it safely as I would like to keep the stock motor intact lol. By the way you make me want to go straight to the 100 jet lmao
Click to expand...
Lol I went straight to the 125 and that was on my daily driver at the time! Seriously though these kits are actually designed on the save side. Nitrous usually only gets dangerous when we start modifying the parameters(more timing or bigger nitrous jets etc). Just like adding boost with a blower it gets addicting and/or destructive. Keep it simple and tuned properly and you'll be fine. Good luck and post your results!
 

rbohm

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
6,698
550
204
tucson,az
May 10, 2015
#9
  • May 10, 2015
  • #9
mikestang63 said:
You don't have forged pistons.

Off the top of my head..............

Start with a 50 pill. Go at least one step colder in Motorcraft plugs= 24's and read the plugs after you spray the first few times. Pull your timing back 2 degrees to 8 or get a timing control knob for your MSD that you can dial the timing back.. Do not hit the button in 1st gear. Make sure you purge the line everytime before spraying. If you hear any pinging back off the throttle. Do NOT spray with the motor off. Make sure the bottle has adequate pressure. Make sure the nitrous and fuel jets are spraying towards the motor. Make sure the WOT switch works. Do not move up in pills until you are comfortable with the 50. On a stock motor I would not go past 100 hp. Use 93 or the highest octane you can find.

I'm sure some others will add theiir tips.
Click to expand...

all excellent advice, with one change. instead of not spraying in first gear, my advice is to not spray below 2500-3000 rpm. and as noted later on, tune you motor on the rich side to prevent detonation.

and i cant stress again, if you hear pinging, STOP SPRAYING. when a nitrous motor detonates, you can punch a hole in a piston with laser beam efficiency.

also, before you install the nitrous system, make absolutely sure your intake valves are sealing properly. i have seen nitrous backfires pop a carb off it studs. granted they were running much more than a mere 150 shot, more like a 400 shot, but a nitrous backfire can be very bad either way.
 

pete_05_gt

Member
Feb 23, 2014
48
2
9
May 11, 2015
#10
  • May 11, 2015
  • #10
Thank you fella's I cannot stress how much I appreciate the advice. I will keep you all posted on the progress.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Preparation for Holley Terminator X install – Foxbody 306 (electrical fan, alternator, MSD Ignition, etc)
  • So_Flo
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 4, 2026
General karthief
8
Engine Rough idle and aggressive sputtering when accelerating
  • 88vertible
  • Aug 13, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Dec 13, 2025
Jarhead67
J
N
New Edge 3.8L Forged Internals
  • NtheGAME
  • Jun 1, 2025
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
824
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2025
Noobz347
T
What's it Worth? 2002 GT conv/auto
  • tonydetesta
  • Jan 7, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
3
Views
731
What is it Worth?!?!? Jan 21, 2026
Mustang5L5
Rear Disc and Rims Offsets
  • TripleYellow
  • Nov 11, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 9, 2026
TripleYellow
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?