Need Advice: Mustang accidentally held at redline while in neutral for a few seconds...

mikey123555

Dec 28, 2018
CA
Hey, so this is on a 2017 mustang GT, and I don't drive it very hard normally and have never gone over 4.5k RPM (cant speak on the previous owner).

So I was pulling up to a 4-way intersection, and as I put the car into neutral the accelerator got caught on something, likely the mat, and the car hit redline for a few seconds (in neutral). I can't remember exactly how long because I was panicking but safe to assume it was less than or equal to 5s. In the moment, as I was panicking, I didn't see what RPM it hit but the dashboard started flashing red so I'm assuming the car was hitting the rev limiter?

I've been frantically reading articles and forum posts to see if I could have potentially caused harm to the vehicle, but I've been seeing mixed reviews.
Afterwards, it didn't sound like anything was broken but I don't know much about the mechanics of cars.

Could I have caused "valve float" or any other type of damage to the car? It's my first car so I'm extremely paranoid at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

The limiter will keep the revs out of the danger zone. First time I "raced" my 17 I learned how quickly that Coyote hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd with that 3.73 gear. I immediately knew what happened, hit 2nd then quickly hit the rev limit again. I still beat that Corvette badly.