Need Advice

therzl

May 20, 2007
Santa Clara, CA
I own a 96 Cobra with a stock engine (113k miles) and minor modifications. I have many questions regarding upcoming maintenance and would greatly appreciate anyone's opinion/advice. The rad. is a Fluidyne and likely needs flushing. What do you think of Royal Purple's Purple Flush for this purpose? I've read of people first adding this to the rad., then driving about 50 to 60 miles before flushing out the cooling system. On that note, does Water Wetter/Purple Ice truly drop temperatures? Is one preferable to the other? In addition to the rad., some of the engine is aluminum; thus, should I use a Dex-Cool type of antifreeze? Is Peak a preferred brand? Installed are 60k miles old copper plugs that I'm probably going to change. Is iridium preferable to platinum, or...? I'm skipping copper because of frequent replacement requirements compared to the other two. Should I consider a third, alternative metal? Also, should I consider replacing the coil packs and/or some other component of the electrical system? The car's growing sluggish, and I'm thinking it's due to something electrical. The compression checks out fine. I believe the rear gear is a 3.27. Would changing it out to a taller 3.73, 4.10 etc. accelerate things? Very unlikely this car is heading to the track, just street use. Finally, is there a CAI that is CARB legal and worth the $? Perhaps that's something of an oxymoron. I installed then uninstalled a Demolet CAI, which I was happy with (it became CARB illegal several years after purchase). Lastly, any recommendations regarding brake pads and rotors? Thank you very much for reading this. I realize it's exceedingly lengthy, but would appreciate any advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Shouldn't need flushing if it has been serviced on time. I prefer OEM Spec. Fluid from a major manufacturer. Many different opinins on plugs, I use the Plainum Motorcraft for mostly stock '02 GT. Stock OEM electrical parts are usually considered the best for most applications. I don't believe in CAI's so no help there.Have you tuned it up and cleaned the TB & MAF, changed fuel and air filters etc? Cobra's love the gear 4.10's are my fav. A cat back won't give much HP but does sound awesome on a 4V .