Need clutch advice

Hi-Po

Mar 31, 2005
Oslo, Norway
I will probably need to replace my clutch in the near future, and would much appreciate some advice on which clutch to get.

I have been running a FRPP King Cobra clutch for the last 8 years or so - and although it has done a good job I would like to get one that gives better driveability, i.e. a lighter pedal but capable of the power levels I am at now (well, I dont know what kind of HP but I am guessing say 350/370 on the engine and lots of torque, see sig for dets).

This is for my daily driver so my priorities are driveability and durability, but it should also be good for some trackdays use - both drag and road course.

I have heard good things about Centerforce, and been looking at this one:

Centerforce DF021048 - Centerforce Dual Friction Clutches - Application - SummitRacing.com

Anyone familiar with this one? Other recommendations? I have searched both here and other places but it seem to be a veritable clutch jungle out there...

My flywheel has been re-surfaced once (when I did the KC clutch), do I need to replace this as well, or should it be ok to re-surface it again?

• Sponsors (?)

actually for drivability, the king cobra is one of the best, sucks that theve sky rocketed in price lately to over 300 bucks. Ive heard some so so things about centerforce. Ive heard nothing but good things from the Spec clutch guys, and i currently am running a Ram Powergrip HD and it chatters some, but grips unreal.

You can more than likely have the flywheel resurfaced again. As for driveability I always liked the king cobra clutch. I ran the kc in my vert and also in my 91gt with the 347 in it.

I used to love Centerforce, but the last one in my 400RWHP 96 Cobra let me down. I think the PP failed, the disc was still good but it wasn't disengaging.

IMO...it's overpriced. Get a Spec Stage I or II or a FMS 10.5" or 11" clutch. My factory clutch in my 04 is stock and I'm making 600RWHP.

I used to love Centerforce, but the last one in my 400RWHP 96 Cobra let me down. I think the PP failed, the disc was still good but it wasn't disengaging.

IMO...it's overpriced. Get a Spec Stage I or II or a FMS 10.5" or 11" clutch. My factory clutch in my 04 is stock and I'm making 600RWHP.

I have to go with SVT on this one. I'm on my 3rd DFCF and I gotta say...

The centrifugal weight thing might be great for a centri style blower or turbo but I find that it's been slipping when that low end torque is really poured on.

I notice the slip most when I'm cruising in 4th and put the pedal down.

I run a 2.2KB on a built Windsor with the Flowzilla inlet and roughly 12 psi. I was actually considering the King Cobra or Spec Stage 2 for my next clutch.

Thanks all your input/advice -

I was under the impression that the Spec clutches were pretty race oriented, very grippy i.e. bit tricky to drive in stop and go traffic? But they are good for a daily driver? Lighter than the KC?

I really don't think I am going to do any more engine mods, so surely a Centerforce DF must be able to cope easily with my power level?

Does anyone have any experience with Zoom clutches? Any good?

I was under the impression that the Spec clutches were pretty race oriented, very grippy i.e. bit tricky to drive in stop and go traffic? But they are good for a daily driver? Lighter than the KC?

I've heard that a lot about the Spec Stage 3 clutches. Not so much about the others.

Id go with a dual friction, i have a centerforce DFX right now and i was thinking about going back to the dual friction, i had good luck with it, if i can re-use my flywheel then i think i am going to get a dual friction. If not then im going to a twin disc mcleod