need front suspension help fast!

i was changing my front sping on the drivers side when i ran into a problem. i cant get the new spring in. i went to pep boys and rented a spring compressor. its the kind that goes up the center of the spring. no matter how i tighten it, i cant compress it enough to get in there. i had it in almost once but the threaded shaft is so long it hits at the spot where the spring meets the body. what do i do?

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem. Find a piece of pipe just a little bigger than the threaded rod and put it over the rod and use it to take up some of the slack. Worked like a champ for me. I put drag springs in the front of mine. Took me 2 hrs to do the drivers side and 5 mins to do passenger side, after I figured the pipe trick out.

GOOD LUCK

The proper compressor for Mustang springs has 2 flat plates and a threaded rod that comes up through the A Arm, it weighs about 13 or 14 Lbs too, and works awesome!

This works..

Leave the strut connected. Put a floor jack under the control arm spring seat. Remove the control arm bolts, drop the jack, and slide the spring in. Raise the jack carefully, the spring will be under tension, and guide the arm bolts back in. Use a long screwdriver or metal rod to line up the holes.

Be Careful and take it easy.....

Here is a quick and easy one to do. Worked like a charm for me. Get 2 exhaust clamps, put them into the spring and close them to create somewhat of a curve shape out of the spring. Insert spring and when jack is under A-arm release the clamps. Really fast with an air ratchet.