Need Help Deciding Type Of Cam To Put In 65 Stang

LinoG

Dec 24, 2017
Hey everyone! I have a 65 mustang with a 289 four speed. Couple things i want to do is make it sounds meaner and go a bit faster.
1. what type of cam would you recommend.
2. should i turbo it?, or put a 5 speed in it?

Need help!

• Sponsors (?)

the first thing you need to do is decide what exactly you want from this engine. so answer these questions;

1: is this a daily driver?

2: are you going to race this engine?

if this is going to be a daily driver, or a back up driver/ week end cruiser, then you need an engine that is reliable and efficient. power is nice, but if you are constantly having to make repairs or are constantly tuning the car so you can drive it, then its not reliable. you also need a measure of fuel economy as well. nine miles to the gallon isnt going to cut it anymore these days, and neither is a lumpy hot running hard to drive car that doesnt want to cooperate in traffic.

the first thing you need to do is decide what exactly you want from this engine. so answer these questions;

1: is this a daily driver?

2: are you going to race this engine?

if this is going to be a daily driver, or a back up driver/ week end cruiser, then you need an engine that is reliable and efficient. power is nice, but if you are constantly having to make repairs or are constantly tuning the car so you can drive it, then its not reliable. you also need a measure of fuel economy as well. nine miles to the gallon isnt going to cut it anymore these days, and neither is a lumpy hot running hard to drive car that doesnt want to cooperate in traffic.

Thanks for the reply. i'm not going to race but also not a daily driver. i was thinking maybe going with a 351 Cleveland and make it nasty?

interesting idea, one that i have thought of a few times over the years. the biggest issue though is headers. the 351c is a tight fit to begin with, and stock manifolds dont fit, and headers do barely, but i doubt anyone makes a set these days.

if you want a 351 engine, use a 351w, easier to get, and easier to get headers for.

as for making nasty, my advice is dont. too many compromises have to be made building the car, and driving it, and i dont think you will put up with them for the long term.

now as to a cam, pick one that operates in the 1500-5500 rpm range. its one i think you will be happy with for the long term, especially if you pick parts that compliment the cam, such as a performer rpm or weiand stealth intake, headers with a 1 5/8" primary tube, and a carb in the 750cfm range. i would also pick a set of heads that have a 185cc or so intake runner volume, with a 2.02in/1.60ex valve, and a 64cc chamber.

as for your transmission question, i would go with the 5spd.

interesting idea, one that i have thought of a few times over the years. the biggest issue though is headers. the 351c is a tight fit to begin with, and stock manifolds dont fit, and headers do barely, but i doubt anyone makes a set these days.

if you want a 351 engine, use a 351w, easier to get, and easier to get headers for.

as for making nasty, my advice is dont. too many compromises have to be made building the car, and driving it, and i dont think you will put up with them for the long term.

now as to a cam, pick one that operates in the 1500-5500 rpm range. its one i think you will be happy with for the long term, especially if you pick parts that compliment the cam, such as a performer rpm or weiand stealth intake, headers with a 1 5/8" primary tube, and a carb in the 750cfm range. i would also pick a set of heads that have a 185cc or so intake runner volume, with a 2.02in/1.60ex valve, and a 64cc chamber.

as for your transmission question, i would go with the 5spd.

Thanks for the advice on the 351. since i currently have a 289 engine in it now should i maybe focus on putting a cam in that and try and spunk that up. Maybe put the 5 speed manual in it and or go to automatic? I mean how much more horespower can i get from spunking up the 289 as opposed to doing the 351w?

Thanks for the advice on the 351. since i currently have a 289 engine in it now should i maybe focus on putting a cam in that and try and spunk that up. Maybe put the 5 speed manual in it and or go to automatic? I mean how much more horespower can i get from spunking up the 289 as opposed to doing the 351w?

Too many follow-up questions needed to give an answer.

What are you doing for the final drive (differential)? (will you want or need overdrive)
Will >50% of the driving be done at 55mph and above or vice versa? (same as above)
Will you drive it in stop-and-go conditions? (rule out a manual trans or at lkeast go hydraulic)
Are you considering carburation or fuel injection?
If the latter what ECU are you planning to run?

Best answer I can give for your horsepower questions with a carb is....look for 310hp for a 289 to be as much as you want to reach for (with stock heads), say 400 with the 351W, but 450 is pretty easy if you are willing to pay for heads and all. Obviously a 306 or 347 would fall in between. To be honest for street use (as in rarely ever take it to the track) I'd build for torque not horsepower, try to have maximum torque fall in early say 2,000-2,500rpmm but stay flat all the way to near redline.

Last edited: