Need Help Deciding What To Do With Car. Opinions Wanted.

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
Im having a tough time figuring out what to do here, id like some opinions from you guys. help me out.

Ive been daily driving my mustang (not in snow or heavy rain) for a year or so now, and before that it sat for about 6 months, and i was driving it frequently before that period. reason being is that i work 27 miles away from home, and i get atleast 24 mpg in it, where as my 07 f150 gets 15 if im lucky.

im getting ready to build a house on a lot of land i own but moving into that is a good 6+ months down the road. this new house of mine will be 40 miles from work, one way.

heres my dilemma. i rear ended someone in it years and years back and never fixed it (had liability only at the time). the front of the car is twisted. its not bad, you can visibly tell that the driver side is pushed back, and the paint is not right, but other than that its not an eye sore

20140320_182809_zpsgzkejrjl.jpg

if you look at this picture at the fog lights you can see the driver side one is pushed back

20140320_182816_zpsfuvpljy3.jpg

the headlight gap is all wrong

20140320_182919_zps9yujwtmb.jpg

this is the driver side fender apron, after the accident i welded the tear there so it wouldnt spread

20140320_182945_zpsm6egldon.jpg

see how bowed in the apron looks on this side

20140320_182950_zpsueab0ad4.jpg

vs this side

20140320_182955_zpslcsimnys.jpg

this is new too the door gap is all wrong on this quarter pannel and the rocker pannel piece is pryed away from the car

20140320_182842_zpsp5seivge.jpg

i had the car painted years and years ago, but it wasnt done right, we didnt pull the trim or headlights or anything so its not a great paint job. there are a couple of problem spots. like these two rear bumper extensions have paint chipping, one was repainted and dosent match, and the back bumper, i must have hit something so that back driver side corner is torn

20140320_182853_zps88t5awbb.jpg

20140320_182905_zpsx7baodn9.jpg

i had subframe connectors put on a long time ago, but the car is sitting low on the back driver side. ive been underneath the car and i cant see anything that could be causing it, the torque boxes look ok, everything measures equal side to side, ive tried multiple springs, all bushings are new, ect, ect. there is a slight ripple in the unibody between the quarter window and back hatch, so i think the rear of the car is sagged or twisted.

my body shop says they can fix the front end and get it on the frame machine and figure out whats going on with my ride height issues for under 800 with no painting involved, but im thinking now they might be telling me the cars twisted once they do that

and to make things worse i went to check the oil today, and there was something peculiar on the dip stick. could be nothing, but could be bearings going bad or something. im changing the oil tomorrow and will check my magnetic drain plugs and ill let you know

i cant even wash this car without getting angry over how many little things are wrong with it. i want it to be right, and i love driving it every day, but more things are going wrong with it than i can keep up with.

the motor leaks oil from every gasket, and i have begun collecting parts to pull the motor and rebuild it with gt40p's, explorer intake, ect. the radiator slowly leaks, it needs tires, driver side door needs to be rehung with new hinges (already has new bushings and pins), and the ac is leaking freeon somewhere and i cant find it, the list goes on and on

i need some sort of gas mileage car, there is nothing wrong with my truck

20140221_164010_zpsotztbzc2.jpg

aside from its mpg ratings

but ill soon be driving 80 miles a day and 15 mpg wont cut it, and there so much wrong with my mustang now im not sure if i should keep driving it.

ive got some money laying around so my options are
-buy a beater car (civic or something) for cheap, get good mpg, not worry about people hitting it, pull the plates off the mustang and park its ass. then i can get stuff fixed once i build my house with a garage, i can pull things apart and not have to worry about getting it back together to drive it
-take it to the body shop, and have them fix everything but the paint. get the front end straight, see whats going on with the ride height, fix that back bumper crack, basically get the car ready for paint but without actually painting it, put tires on it, and rehang the door. and keep driving it.
-pull the plates off the mustang, suck it up and drive my truck every day, and start fixing the mustang

the car has tons of nice suspension pieces on it, a great shape black interior, 125k on it and was my first car, ive had it for 8 years. i wont sell it, unless the body shop confirms its twised and will never sit right, then ill buy a roller and swap parts over onto it.

keeping that in mind, what do you guys think i should do? am i being too ocd? how do you fox body daily drivers keep from going nuts when you get scratches and things? any advice?

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Are you still paying on the truck? I would rather drive a 15mpg beast with no payment than drop money on a beater. Secondly, sure your stang has issues but if its still roadworthy I see no reason to park it until your house is done.

no i own the truck.

parking it would be to just stop all this wear and tear on it.

maybe i should just hand it over to the body shop and start getting it in shape. front end and ride height wise, no paint. and throw some decent tires on it and keep driving it.

Drive the truck. The money you would spend on a beater would buy a lot of gas. Park the mustang and gather parts or save cash untilyou can get it straight.

80 miles 15 mpg at 3.50 a gallon is about $18/day or $350+/ month for work commute. if you double the mileage to 30 its $175/month... can you get something for that and come out ahead? focus on the house and dont distract yourself, tear the mustang down once you move in and do it right...

Everyone goes through this with their pony love hate love me since 89...
dam you henry ford :) ...

Reactions: 1 users
I'd prob buy a crappy beater commuter car, leave the truck for local driving/home projects and make the Mustang a toy/project car.

Nice vanity plate. Mine is similar, but spelled different

Park the car for now buy a beater and worry about the house. There is a lot more work involved with it then you think even if you are not doing much of the work yourself. Once you get settled in the house then start working on the car.

Reactions: 1 user
If theres a lot of frame work to do front and back, it may not be worth keeping, because even if the frame is fixed it will never be the same again.

I don't believe this is true. Maybe in the past, but modern collision repair is quite good. A good shop can pull that car into tighter tolerance than it had when it left the factory.

With that being said, it may be easier and cheaper to just get a better car. The costs add up quickly.

Too much for me.
But on a side note I spent $1,400 on a 5 speed civic that gets 38-40 mpg and I drive 70 miles round trip to work. Has been worth it 100%

If your ultimate goal is to keep the car and put money into it to get it where you want it to be, then I don't see any harm in just driving it in the mean time. Especially if the problems with it continue to bother you, that will just give you motivation to get things done. You can do the math on how many months of buying and driving a beater that gets 2x the MPG would take to pay for itself.

Another alternative would be to just sell the stang as is, and then start fresh at some later date when you have more time and money. You wouldn't get a lot for it as it is, but you could use the money you get from that to get yourself that beater to drive your long commute. You can then try and save up your extra gas money to fund your future purchase, which of course would not have the frame issues that you're worried about with this one.

Obviously that front end needs frame work, but I wouldn't assume too much about the back end (Though a frame machine would be able to tell you for sure). FWIW, I almost declined delivery of my Stang back when I bought it new. It sat about 1 inch lower on the driver side in the rear. Just enough so you could notice it if you looked closely. My (then) father in law actually owned the dealership, and we went around the lot and measured all of the factory fresh mustangs sitting there. There wasn't one of them that sat exactly even, and several were much more askew than mine was. So much for build tolerance! So yours may not have a problem at all.