Need Help Diagnose Headlight Problem 90 Lx 5.0(carb)

SallyPlumCrazy

May 13, 2015
Hey guys! So I took my baby out after winter, to my surprise headlights/drl/fogs don't work, corner orange lights come on and so do the blinker signals/hazards. Highs come on only if I pull the arm towards me and hold it, if i push it they don't come on.

1990 lx 5.0 carburator (not stock)

Twice in 2 weeks forgot lights open and drained battery, was boosted twice & had to charge it twice with an intelligent charger. Battery is now A1.
Alternator - brand new
Light switch for drl,headlights,fogs tested - works
Fuses - checked all good
Bulbs - checked all good
Connectors to switch and to bulbs - checked all good

I was told there's a DRL module near the horn that is connected to the headlight switch? Could it be worn out if it was probably never changed?
Could it be the problem if there's a lot of corrosion on it?

I'm not an expert, so all advice or thoughts are welcomed, need to fix this asap.

thanks guys!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

SEE Mustang GT Fog Light Fix to fix the foglight problem. The stock wiring isn't up to the job and is overheating. The headlight switch & turn/multifunction switch are affected by Ford's wiring problem. Sometimes it overheats so badly that the plastic shells of the wiring connectors start to melt. This will show you how to add a relay to the fog lights to relieve the overload on the headlight wiring.

Be careful not to use bulbs rated at more than 55 watt each with the stock fog light wiring. Using oversize bulbs can result in overheating the wiring harness and electrical fires. Definitely do the fog light fix first.

I did mine differently, but I had to build my own wiring harness for the fog lights. This is more trouble than it is worth for most folks. I left all the wiring on the stock light switches in place and used the fog light wiring to power the relay coil. The other side of the relay coil is connected to ground. I have an inline fuse that picks up power from the battery side of the starter solenoid. It is connected to the relay contact. The other relay contact is connected to the new wiring harness I made for the fog lights.

attachment.php

The advantage of making your own foglight wiring harness is that you can run 100 watt fog light bulbs. The stock wiring harness will not use 100 watt bulbs without overloading and causing a fire.

Unless you are good at electrical wiring, have the skills and tools (crimp tool, soldering gun, heat gun for the heat shrink tubing, etc.) I recommend that you stick with the Corral method.