need help! DIY flame thrower

me and a friend of mine, want to make flame throwers on our exaust, using a standard 2 terminal coil, on a 5.0 carbuerated with flowmasters (running rich already) and a 327 amc carbuerated , with only glasspacks (running rich too) we cant find an easy way, to get spark to the plugs, with a seperate coil. :shrug: if anyone has any ideas, please share them.
we appreciate any feedback
thanks
jeff
 
I heard its not a bright idea but ive heard its been done with no problems. I heard it always blows off mufflers or something. Just go a yahoo search, I think this is one way...splice another coil into the car harness, with a on/off to control the coil going on and off, then run a spark plug wire to a plug in the exhaust pipe and ur done, i dont recomment doing it though,
 
cats shmats......whop needs em? i dont well this topic will be closed due to the fact that my genius buddy, has figured it out, and we spent about 3 hours, and we have sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet flame throwers on the pipes. if anyone wants to know how...........here it is
take a seperate coil, run a wire from the distributor that tells the coil when to charge, to where it would go on the main coil (only on the other coil) then run the main positive wire, from the battery (or other positive source) (you want the most power possible so battery is a good choice) run the wire through the firewall, up to a switch then run the other end, out to the coil, drill holes as close to the end of the pipes as possible and install spark plugs(preferrably an inch or two) mount the coil somewhere close to the pipes, take a spark wire, split it into two (for dual exaust) to activate you flip the switch at idle, and give her gas. keep in mind that when the switch is activated you will loose a lot of engine spark, and it will run like crap, until switch is off. it helps if it runs like crap, to provide raw fuel. this was done without cats, and a carbuerated motor. i also do not reccomend this, this is simply a curiosity thing :rolleyes:
 
Maybe I can start this topic up again. I have always been intrigued with the idea of a flamethrower. However I have never been very satisfied with the traditional method. It seems counter productive to interrupt your ignition to get enough fuel down the pipes to produce a flame and if your are dealing with a 4.6L it is even harder to get enough un-burnt fuel to the pipes not to mention a high probability of causing muffler damage or worse.
I have been banging around the idea of taking the fuel to the end of the exhaust pipe independently of the motor and exhaust system. Possible a separate pump and or separate tank just for that purpose. Since I really dislike reinventing the wheel I was hoping someone out there had done this.
Dave
 
I soooooo already thought of this. I even tried it. well, not all of it, but i have sure been thinking about it.... here it is. I hooked up the coils (yes two) at the rear of the car, I only ran a hot lead to the coils, so nothing off the distributer, im not sure why you guys did that, but at any rate, I had great spark in both exhaust tips just no flame. I was bummed to say the least, did my research and found that it is kinda hard to make flames without running rich :) considering my 5.0 is fuel injected and i have no idea how to tune it to run rich, which sounds like a bad idea everywhere. So my next idea was to run a secondary fuel source to the pipes. but I wanted tight BLUE flames, not yellow flames like most kits give you. Propane has to be the way to go. so thats what I am going to do, but first i have to find some fuel injectors that won't melt due to the heat ( researched that and found direct injection injectors [where the injectors are attached to the heads, instead of the lower intake manifold]) anyway thats my plan and here in a few weeks i'll let you know how it went.
 
and this is in tech?? where is daggar when you need him :rolleyes:

Ha, yea, it probably should be moved. But its a fun thread.

The way I always heard how its done is to kill the ignition with some sort of a trigger button after you rev the motor, and all that electrical energy goes to spark plugs in the tails. The motor will rev down and die if you try to make the flame go on too long obviously, so its only intended for short bursts, which I would think you'd want anyway, to avoid completely torching your car. The cars I've seen with this setup more "belch" the flame and it kind of floats away from the back of the car, and it looks sick. But of course this is on the back of a '49 Merc, not a Fox where the gas tank sits close between the tails! Be careful fellas!

P.S. lets see some VIDEOS!
 
i dont have any flame throwing set up on my car,just a nice fast shift and i get some nice fireballs between gears,everyone tells me it looks awesome haha,its always done this since i put aftermarket exhaust on and the car is tuned too.who knows.
 
i bought dry nitrous injectors and i am going to tap them in the exhaust for propane this week. my question is: what is the difference between nitrous and fuel solenoids?? they seem to be the same size, but they draw different amps and the nitrous one is much more expensive... can i use a fuel solenoid (edlbrock part number EDL72050 in my mustangsunlimited book) for the propane?
 
absolutely... i'll try the fuel solenoid, the only reason i can think the nitrous solenoid would be different/more expensive is because it can withstand the higher pressures of the nitrous, but thats JUST a guess. I don't really know but i'll find out.
 
this thread is OLD and should have DIED. But since it's still interesting i am the "genious buddy" of the OP and we both kinda mastered this concept about a year ago, or more.. honestly try not to overthink it, just go out there, gather some parts and make some flames!